Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diannegealon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2020
I'm planning to buy ipad pro 2015 because lately newer ipads are very expensive than ipad pro 2015? which I cannot afford since I'm tight on budget.
And the main reason why I want to to buy ipad pro 2015 is because its cheaper even compared to ipad 8th gen wifi variant.
And also I'm considering to buy it for everyday routines, such as watching YouTube or movies, reading wattpad or ebooks, sometimes use it for my online classes which I don't need it that often since I have a laptop, and the biggest reason for me is that ipad pro have a bigger screen than ipad 8th and ipad air 4 which its perfect for casual artist for me to practice my digital drawing and it also supports apple pencil 1.
And also I don't need heavy multitasking since I'm only using ipad pro for everyday routines and entertainment purposes.
Tell me, is it still worth it??
Please help me solve this problem since I'm still making a decision whether to buy ipad pro 2015 or ipad 8th gen.
Thank you!

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
No. I don’t think it’s worth it. And the first Gen Pros might not even get iOS 15 if you’re unlucky.

The newer iPads are much better. Even the basic ones.

Diannegealon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2020
No. I don’t think it’s worth it. And the first Gen Pros might not even get iOS 15 if you’re unlucky.

The newer iPads are much better. Even the basic ones.
So what should I do?
Can you recommend me where can I find refurbished ipads?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It's still a very smooth device on iOS 14, the only notable thing missing for artwork is ProMotion, which the 2017 Pro does have if you can find that for a similar price? Between this and an 8th gen, the larger, laminated screen will make digital art a nicer experience. I would suggest trying for a 2017 12.9" if you can find one though, you'll get ProMotion, a newer battery and a little bit longer iOS support.

Reactions: Smici

Diannegealon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2020
Which country are you in? Apple.com is the only place I would trust with refurbs. Or official Apple owned stores. Only.
I'm from Philippines, I tried apple.com but there's apparently no stock of refurbished ipads

Diannegealon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2020
It's still a very smooth device on iOS 14, the only notable thing missing for artwork is ProMotion, which the 2017 Pro does have if you can find that for a similar price? Between this and an 8th gen, the larger, laminated screen will make digital art a nicer experience. I would suggest trying for a 2017 12.9" if you can find one though, you'll get ProMotion, a newer battery and a little bit longer iOS support.
I see thank you for your recommendation!☺️

Reactions: Falhófnir

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I'm planning to buy ipad pro 2015 because lately newer ipads are very expensive than ipad pro 2015? which I cannot afford since I'm tight on budget.
And the main reason why I want to to buy ipad pro 2015 is because its cheaper even compared to ipad 8th gen wifi variant.
And also I'm considering to buy it for everyday routines, such as watching YouTube or movies, reading wattpad or ebooks, sometimes use it for my online classes which I don't need it that often since I have a laptop, and the biggest reason for me is that ipad pro have a bigger screen than ipad 8th and ipad air 4 which its perfect for casual artist for me to practice my digital drawing and it also supports apple pencil 1.
And also I don't need heavy multitasking since I'm only using ipad pro for everyday routines and entertainment purposes.
Please help me solve this problem since I'm still making a decision whether to buy ipad pro 2015 or ipad 8th gen.
Thank you!
Yes, I would also go with the 2017 iPad Pro.

Ukagr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
I have and still use my gen 1 iPad Pro 12.9" quite often for YouTube/movies, taking notes and screen recordings, email, web browsing. Just basic stuff. It's done me well over the years. I got a good deal on it, it was clearance priced 50% off when the gen 2 model was getting ready to come out.

I would search for the gen 2 like the others are saying but the gen one is still a good iPad for me and probably would be for you if you can find a good deal.

Diannegealon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2020
I have and still use my gen 1 iPad Pro 12.9" quite often for YouTube/movies, taking notes and screen recordings, email, web browsing. Just basic stuff. It's done me well over the years. I got a good deal on it, it was clearance priced 50% off when the gen 2 model was getting ready to come out.

I would search for the gen 2 like the others are saying but the gen one is still a good iPad for me and probably would be for you if you can find a good deal.
Where did you find it?
I want to buy ipad pro 2015

Ukagr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
Where did you find it?
I want to buy ipad pro 2015
It was back in 2017, when the gen 2 was coming out I just happened to see the iPads were being clearance priced at a local Walmart. I really just stumbled on them, I should have bought everyone they had! I have a lot of shoulda woulda coulda moments.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
I still use my iPad pro, even on the original battery. Still runs great. Amazing how much these things last I can still see a few more years out of it.

jpow112

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
My ipad Pro 12.9 2015 still runs well, good battery, perfect screen. It works well for sheet music, which is why I got the big screen, but less well for processor intensive stuff. The home button is starting to get hard to click - so I guess that might fail soon. I guess it also might not get the next IOS version too, but whilst still getting the 2021 version, I'll keep the 2015 for music and gigging.

So for specific uses, it's still useful. I've still got a 2010 gen 1 iPad that works ok as a photoframe....

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Thank you!
You didn't mention your budget. At this point, the regular iPad Air 2020 is more powerful than the 2015 iPad Pro. I'd recommend looking for a 2nd hand or refurbished iPad Air 2020.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Contrary to other I would recommend the 2015 over the 2017 (I have see to many reports of the 2017 having screen responsiveness issues).
The 2015 one is still pretty good, better than the 9.7 pro, I don't even feel the need to upgrade even now that the M1 is out.
As for iPadOS support, wait until June 7th if you want to make sure. I think it will get iPadOS 15 (air 2, mini 4 and iPad 5 are inferior devices that should be cutoff before the pro) and if it does it will get 16 too (all iPads that got 11 got 12 and all that got 13 got 14, so there is a path in Apple updates lately).
If you can get the 2018 12.9 that's the best if you find a good price, but otherwise go with the 2015.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.