Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Hey guys!
So here's every iPhone's '_gate' that I know of:
iPhone 4-(Duh) Antennagate
iPhone 4s-Yellowgate
iPhone 5-Flaregate,Chipgate
iPhone 5s-Sensorgate(was fixed by Software Update)
iPhone 6-Bendgate
iPhone 6s-???

Because if there isn't one, we must correct that xD
What do you think should qualify as a _gate for the 6s? *It should be a hardware issue*
Good day :D :D

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Chipgate. TSMC vs Samsung chips on the A9.

The iPhone 5 wasn't flaregate/chipgate as far as I know. It was scuffgate due to the slate black scuffing easily (hence why it changed to space grey ever since from the 5s on.)

Not sure I remember the 5s as something called sensorgate either.
Thanks for your reply! I can't believe I forgot about Chipgate..
And yeah Scuffgate- That's what I meant, except I said Chipgate referring to how the metal easily got 'chipped'.
And Flaregate was due to the the purple flares people frequented in the camera ;)

Sensorgate was an issue where the Magnetic sensor wouldn't calibrate properly leading people to believe the idea of the Motion co-processor(M7) was flawed. People freaked.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Don't forget the camera crescent "gate" on the 6 either... although, at least in the early days, that had a very large helping of "I'm not personally experiencing this issue, therefore I'm going to ridicule you for reporting it".
I've only just heard of that issue! But I've personally experienced a design glitch in every iPhone Selfie camera..
If you're trying to use it in a well lit room with multiple sources, and one of the sources happent to be incident on the camera, there's a 'blue dot' reflection on your face.
It's possibly caused due to hollow space-which also causes the crescent moon.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
Don't forget the one thing every single one has had (or so it seems). The small little pressure point blemish on lower left part of the screen that results in a tiny dark spot in the backlight.

yellowscreen

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
No. The quality of this years iphone displays is appaling. Theres not a single display with uniform white on a 6s, the smaller model.

How can this happen on a 2016 750p high end display is beyond me and is completely unacceptable.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
What about the 3G or 3GS?
No initial apparent gate, but the plastic casing would easily crack over time.

crack-iphone.jpg

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
There are so many "gates" that "Chipgate" can either mean chipping aluminum coloring or different processor chips.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
Excessive use of the word "gate", i hate it, it aggravates everything thanks to the media. But sure, every model so far has its flaws, but the 6S is a S model so it usually learns from the previous model's mistakes.
Problems occur when Apple updates the design, so maybe the iPhone 7 is gonna come with some bad details.

By the way, some early 5S had the yellow thing problem, but only a few bunch, not enough to consider it a "gate" thingy

Reactions: DynaFXD

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
There's a pretty serious problem with the audio output on the phones via headphones (lots of static, possibly electrical interference), that has mostly gone unnoticed by most owners.

I was oblivious myself until I saw a post here, and then I confirmed on my phone, and with a friend.

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
There's always 'some' problem! Some problems get enough publicity to be a _gate and some don't. For instance there were programs to replace iPhone 5's that had swollen batteries that made the screens pop out of the case - such as my own (they did replace it for free after the warranty went though!).

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
The only serious "-gate" problem ever on an iPhone was Antennagate. Scuffgate wasn't too big an issue, and while bendgate was a problem, it was blown way out of proportion by YouTube videos. Nobody talks about chipgate anymore.

The other "-gates" I've never even heard of. It is interesting, however, how all the "S" models fixed the "-gate" problems.

At least we'll get to hear "You're holding it wrong" and "but will it bend?" for years to come :rolleyes::D

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
The only serious "-gate" problem ever on an iPhone was Antennagate. Scuffgate wasn't too big an issue, and while bendgate was a problem, it was blown way out of proportion by YouTube videos. Nobody talks about chipgate anymore.

The other "-gates" I've never even heard of. It is interesting, however, how all the "S" models fixed the "-gate" problems.

At least we'll get to hear "You're holding it wrong" and "but will it bend?" for years to come :rolleyes::D

Actually they've all been blow outta proportion. Even antenna-gate the iPhone 4 held a stronger signal than any iPhone I had prior. It would actually give service and hold a call in areas I previously had none or would drop calls.

Stacked

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Dust Gate. I don't know if it's just a select few iPhone 6s's with this problem but at the top left of the screen on full brightness and on a white background (safari) there seems to be a haze of dust on the screen.

I believe it's coming in through the vibrate switch...There's another thread about this problem.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Antennagate is the only "gate" that makes sense ... cuz that was the only instance in which the word gate was used properly. Now it just sounds stupid.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Actually they've all been blow outta proportion. Even antenna-gate the iPhone 4 held a stronger signal than any iPhone I had prior. It would actually give service and hold a call in areas I previously had none or would drop calls.
Very true. I guess the bad publicity ended-up helping Apple's sales, or at least not affecting them :)

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Exactly. I had brilliant signal on my iPhone 4S. It used to cling onto 3G signal where other phones used to drop out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.