Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2001
UK
Look what iPhoto does. This is from article below. I am “blown away” by this news.
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0201/08.reaction.php

The new iMac is amazing looking," said Bass. "I see so many people with monitors on phone books to get the height right for them. It's about time someone in industrial design took note."
Bass however took Apple to task for some limitations he discovered in iPhoto after rushing home to download it. "I can't find a way to view existing files [that I've imported] by their real names so I can't easily find them on my hard drive. And I can't add them as an attachment in email, which is probably the most common form of picture sharing."

"More troubling," he adds "is how it handles my files. After importing my media folder, I now have a folder called 'iPhoto Library' in my 'home/username/pictures/' directory. Size? 1.29Gb." He points out that unlike iTunes, there's no way to make iPhoto link to separate media sources which means pictures can't be stored on second drives, or in multiple folders. He also pointed out that iPhoto keeps a copy of each file manipulated through the browser. "This means that if I were to import a batch of files, and then rotate them, I would end up with the original folder of images, and copy of that folder that would be twice as large."

CharlesOwens6

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2001
iPhoto problems

I agree. Another problem is that since all the iPhoto thumbnails are stored in the pictures folder, you ending up seeing them in your screensaver's slide show function in really low resolution along with the higher resolution originals. Annoying. It's a good idea for a program that needs alot of tweeking.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
It will get better.

It's still not too bad for a version 1.0, though, you gotta admit. Yeah, there's some pretty unfriendly stuff in there, as I've discovered too, but I'm sure we'll see some improvements in iPhoto2. It's not perfect, but I'd say it's definitely not evil either. I've been waiting for something like this for years.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
More problems

I've noticed that the iPhoto application window can occasionally appear randomly on the screen, even when the app (appears) not to be running - it seems to be some glitch with Quartz.

Also, when the iPhoto window is not active and you click the amber minimize button, it activates the window before minimizing it. This is not the correct OS X behaviour - it should remain in the background as it minimizes. You can also see that the window buttons have not been done correctly because the look inconsistant with the inactive buttons in iTunes.

Hmmmm. Seems like they rushed this one out in time for MWSF. Presumably we'll see an update sooner rather than later.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
re iphoto

Yep,

iPhoto is certainly the least polished of the iApps... part of it has to do with the fact that it's v1.0...

At the basic level - it works... and does what it needs to... but there are a lot of features and functionality that could take it from "usable" to "indispensable"

I used a program called "Film Factory" - which worked pretty well... similar to iPhoto (without the ordering software)... the problem though is that it was never updated to Mac OS X. Since then, i've simply kept files ina file hierarchy...

until now... One feature of iPhoto that is superior to all others is that it's an Apple app... and with the digital hub being a majory aspect of Apple's plan - it's most definately going to be supported well into the future.

arn

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Well, you have hi quailty pics on your HD and you resize them for the book in iPhoto. Do you resize and save or save as and make a copy? That's of lot of thinking and takes the simple out of Apple's iapps. Not to mention, you DON'T NEED TO SAVE!! Imagine working on a book for 3 hours and iPhoto crashes (happened to my wife 3 times) and thinking you're screwed, did all that work for nothing only to find out that iPhoto has everything the way it was before it crashed. Why? Because it keeps a copy of all your pics. That's why. Evil? I don't think so. Unless you have 1,000's of hi rez pics (500k+) that you import to iPhoto all the time from your camera. Otherwise, who cares about the space if you want to do what iPhoto does.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Agreed. iPhoto will be great when the glitches are ironed out. Apple have set a very high standard with the other iApps, and I'm sure iPhoto will get there in the end.

I'm a sucker for the zoom functionality - it's a nice showcase for Quartz - I'd like to see them try and do that in OS 9 or Windows!

U

Unregistered

I hate when programs think they know how you want things. That's the biggest problem with iPhoto. What's the big deal about plugging your camera into you computer and dragging the pictures you want into a folder you want. Who cares if iPhoto will do it automatically and put it in your users folder. Also, iPhoto is very slow compared to another program for OS X. (iView Media Pro) I have over 1,000 photos in there and when you open it up, they all pop up instantly... not to mention it will also import and play any movie file and even QTVRs, which iPhoto will not. So the MPEGs I take on my digital camera will not import in iPhoto anyway. Very frustrating program, I deleted it off my hard drive already.

Jason Valentine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.