Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

o2co2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Hi all, I plan to buy an universal dock for my ipod touch. I found one in apple store for $50, but I think it is too much for just a dock. I want to know if my touch is compatible with old dock model, which is cheaper!
Thanks in advance!

By the way, what is the difference between the new dock and the old one which was released in 2005? Both of them are called universal dock...

isshou

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
I have the old Apple universal dock and it works fine with my 16GB iPT. However, I only use it for audio , therefore I can't confirm if the video also works.

regards

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
Hi

I´ve got the universal dock which came together with my 4th Gen. ipod and it works for all my ipods; 2 Nanos , 5th ipod video & my ipt , I just don´t use the plastic caps to fit each model , to much work to change every time the cap to fit them . it works great as long as you don´t operate the unit while on the dock since the only one that fits nice & tight is the 5th gen video , all others are a bit loose ( they get slimmer & thinner every time ). other than that is fine .

Also my dock has the pin connector & audio out , thats it.

Saludos

slimjim247

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The old iPod dock works for all iPod models (except Shuffle) for syncing and audio out but it the s-video out does not work with the iPod Touch. For video out on the iPod Touch you have to buy the new cables from Apple. The only difference I have noticed on the new dock is it does NOT include s-video out, only audio.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I can confirm that Gen 2 iPod dock also works for Audio out however volume control does not work from the iPT the way it did on the gen 2 iPod. Also syncing seems to work as does power even though it was for the FW version of the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.