Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greyeyezz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2017
on my 5 year old iMac Sierra installation? I have like almost 7 G of stuff in there. I wanted to do a clean install but I didn't save the installers for a lot of my older apps and a lot of updated versions won't work on Sierra.

What's the safest way to do this? Onyx? Manually? Everything is running fine on the old machine I'm just a tidy person:rolleyes:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
on my 5 year old iMac Sierra installation? I have like almost 7 G of stuff in there. I wanted to do a clean install but I didn't save the installers for a lot of my older apps and a lot of updated versions won't work on Sierra.

What's the safest way to do this? Onyx? Manually? Everything is running fine on the old machine I'm just a tidy person:rolleyes:
In general, cached files make your computer faster. If you're not having a specific problem there's no benefit in deleting them.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Can do a safe mode boot (Hold shift key at startup). Part of that is to clear some caches. I do that once a month, boot then sign-in to my account, restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.