Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I am just now gonna be able to have Apple TV again because we are getting Starlink. Our Wi-Fi service was useless, but am excited to have something decent out here in the boonies.

Because of that, I haven’t really kept up with much about the Apple TV, so I’m not sure if they are talking about releasing anything new.

Just wondering if it’s reasonable to buy now, or if I should hold off.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's safe to buy now. While the current Apple TV is about a year old, I doubt there is anything newer coming anytime soon as I suspect they bumped it up to A15 chip so they could keep it that way for a few years. Also considering the A8 based Apple TV HD released in 2015 is still be supported with the latest version of tvOS I'd say that the current Apple TV will be supported for years to come.

Casey Royals

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I am just now gonna be able to have Apple TV again because we are getting Starlink. Our Wi-Fi service was useless, but am excited to have something decent out here in the boonies.

Because of that, I haven’t really kept up with much about the Apple TV, so I’m not sure if they are talking about releasing anything new.

Just wondering if it’s reasonable to buy now, or if I should hold off.
Here’s the latest rumours, not off the presse: https://www.macrumors.com/guide/2024-apple-tv/ IMHO the only thing predicted that might be noticeable would be an upgrade to WiFi 6.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Literally had info about a new Apple TV in the works on the front page of MR today. LOL

I won’t be waiting that long though - just wondered if one was supposed to release really soon or something.

Reactions: George Dawes

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Nobody knows. A new one costs so little and can generally be resold for more than 50% of its price that timing it wrong isn't exactly end of the world. Just sell the old one to get about half or more back and buy the new one if it arrives soon. Prior generation AppleTVs still do everything latest does and they are years old now. This little box does tend to have LONG legs in terms of maintaining usefulness.

Speculation is always all over the place. Remember when 15" MB Air was going to be the first Mac with M3? Now it's impending iMac M3. Soon it is probably going to be M3 in 2024 with confidence. If there's going to be a new AppleTV in 2023, there should be announcements before end of month. So you could safely buy the existing one in 2 more days and let the 14-day return window cover the option to swap for a newer one. Or just wait it out and buy end of month.

If you are waiting on Starlink installation before you can use one, you'll know about any Apple announcement teasers very soon and can buy on that day... when it would be possible to actually use one.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I was wondering this myself the other day. I think I'm going to wait. MacRumors has it as "neutral" whether you should buy now.

Reactions: tranceking26

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Nobody knows. A new one costs so little and can generally be resold for more than 50% of its price that timing it wrong isn't exactly end of the world. Just sell the old one to get about half or more back and buy the new one if it arrives soon. Prior generation AppleTVs still do everything latest does and they are years old now. This little box does tend to have LONG legs in terms of maintaining usefulness.

Speculation is always all over the place. Remember when 15" MB Air was going to be the first Mac with M3? Now it's impending iMac M3. Soon it is probably going to be M3 in 2024 with confidence. If there's going to be a new AppleTV in 2023, there should be announcements before end of month. So you could safely buy the existing one in 2 more days and let the 14-day return window cover the option to swap for a newer one. Or just wait it out and buy end of month.

If you are waiting on Starlink installation before you can use one, you'll know about any Apple announcement teasers very soon and can buy on that day... when it would be possible to actually use one.

My Starlink should arrive within a week or two. I’m sure I’ll order Apple TV pretty soon. It works okay with what I have for some things - just not movies or anything.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, I remember a prior conversation with you about your "boonies" situation with broadband. If you wait that week+, you'll be so deep into October, it should be obvious if Apple is going to have one more event before 2024 or not. If not, I'd order because there will almost certainly NOT be a new one until at least sometime in 2024.

And if Starlink offers mesh wifi, I suggest getting the ethernet version of AppleTV for the extra $20, putting a mesh satt near the AppleTV and connecting by ethernet.

OR, if there is only one router, try to put it NEAR your AppleTV location and connect via ethernet. That option will keep you from eating a big chunk of wifi bandwidth when you are streaming video. If you have others in your home also chomping on wifi, this could be the difference between smooth video playback and stuttering playback (which I recall as a prior problem for you in that same home).

If that's impossible in your home, don't forget the option of creating an ethernet connection through either MOCA (RG6 or cable wiring very likely in your home) or Powerline (ethernet). Both of these options involve 2 little boxes: one in the same general area as the router, the other in the same area as AppleTV:
  1. Router ethernet cable out into box A.
  2. Box A sends ethernet signal over RG6 or powerline wiring to Box B.
  3. Box B ethernet cable into AppleTV.
0% wifi bandwidth-eating ethernet connection end to end when using AppleTV!!! FAST (enough) connection to fully enjoy the AppleTV no matter how many others may be using some wifi and/or any wifi interference issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssledoux

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yes, I remember a prior conversation with you about your "boonies" situation with broadband. If you wait that week+, you'll be so deep into October, it should be obvious if Apple is going to have one more event before 2024 or not. If not, I'd order because there will almost certainly NOT be a new one until at least sometime in 2024.

And if Starlink offers mesh wifi, I suggest getting the ethernet version of AppleTV for the extra $20, putting a mesh satt near the AppleTV and connecting by ethernet.

OR, if there is only one router, try to put it NEAR your AppleTV location and connect via ethernet. That option will keep you from eating a big chunk of wifi bandwidth when you are streaming video. If you have others in your home also chomping on wifi, this could be the difference between smooth video playback and stuttering playback (which I recall as a prior problem for you in that same home).

If that's impossible in your home, don't forget the option of creating an ethernet connection through either MOCA (RG6 or cable wiring very likely in your home) or Powerline (ethernet). Both of these options involve 2 little boxes: one in the same general area as the router, the other in the same area as AppleTV:
  1. Router ethernet cable out into box A.
  2. Box A sends ethernet signal over RG6 or powerline wiring to Box B.
  3. Box B ethernet cable into AppleTV.
0% wifi bandwidth-eating ethernet connection end to end when using AppleTV!!!
If possible and not too much of a pain, I always connect my ATV via Ethernet—and Mac desktop too for that matter, any stationary device. It just makes sense—if it doesn’t need to be mobile, might as well have the benefits of ethernet—faster more consistent connection, frees up wireless bandwidth, more secure, and probably uses a bit less electricity. The con of course can be cable management. But once it’s done well, it’s done.
In my current home, I even paid to have my active cable outlet/modem relocated to the room with these devices in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.