Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alshdavid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2023
It's possible to copy over the Rosetta2 binary to Asahi Linux and use it to run amd64 applications on bare metal Linux.

Does anyone know if that is permissible by Apple's license?

ww1971

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
It's possible to copy over the Rosetta2 binary to Asahi Linux and use it to run amd64 applications on bare metal Linux.

Does anyone know if that is permissible by Apple's license?
Rosetta 2 apps for mac won’t work on Linux on mac m1, only on mac os.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I'm like 99.99% sure the EULA doesn't permit this.
It might if the EULA is tied to the Mac hardware and not the OS. Apple’s VM agreement is like this.

Since Rosetta 2 won’t work on generic ArmV8 CPUs there really isn’t any reason for Apple to prohibit it.

Xiao_Xi

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2021
Since Rosetta 2 won’t work on generic ArmV8 CPUs there really isn’t any reason for Apple to prohibit it.
Why wouldn't it work?

The Github project linked above states:
Rosetta also runs on other ARM64 machines after being patched, but that's not legal. Please use FEX / Box64 instead.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It might if the EULA is tied to the Mac hardware and not the OS. Apple’s VM agreement is like this.
Maybe, but its up to the OP to read the EULA and make the determination. I'm still fairly sure its not permitted, but since I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm not really going to make any effort to find out

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Why wouldn't it work?

I’m not sure how they managed to patch it but without Apple’s proprietary TSO (total store order) bit it probably won’t be reliable.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Why wouldn't it work?

I would like to bring your attention to the wording again:

Rosetta also runs on other ARM64 machines after being patched, but that's not legal. Please use FEX / Box64 instead.

The wording actually implies that running Rosetta outside MacOS, but within an MX Mac (M1, M2, etc), is legal. What is not legal is running Rosetta on a generic ARM64 machine.

Which makes sense, because I remember Asahi developers stating on Twitter they make use of Rosetta to translate binaries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.