Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
After purchasing my new iPad, the thoughts of turning on Facebook integration has crossed my mind. It was previously a thought inconceivable, due to privacy concerns, but the convenience of sharing articles and other links is appealing.

As of right now, I use the app on my iOS devices. Therefore, I am wondering whether, by turning on the integration in iOS 6, whether Facebook would get access to more information than what they already pull in the app. I would turn off their ability to get access to contacts, photos, and the like, so by doing that, would they essentially only have access to what they already get from using the app?

Thanks!

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
After purchasing my new iPad, the thoughts of turning on Facebook integration has crossed my mind. It was previously a thought inconceivable, due to privacy concerns, but the convenience of sharing articles and other links is appealing.

As of right now, I use the app on my iOS devices. Therefore, I am wondering whether, by turning on the integration in iOS 6, whether Facebook would get access to more information than what they already pull in the app. I would turn off their ability to get access to contacts, photos, and the like, so by doing that, would they essentially only have access to what they already get from using the app?

Thanks!

Just don't do the contact thing. Otherwise it's harmless. If the app was accessing stuff it shouldn't there would be a million posts on here about it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The only reason I haven't enabled it is I don't want all 350+ of my facebook friends being put into my contacts app. If there's a way that can be avoided, I'll do it.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Just don't do the contact thing. Otherwise it's harmless. If the app was accessing stuff it shouldn't there would be a million posts on here about it.

Thanks. I just wanted to double check that they weren't pulling anything sneaky and not getting any more access to things than they should.

----------

The only reason I haven't enabled it is I don't want all 350+ of my facebook friends being put into my contacts app. If there's a way that can be avoided, I'll do it.

Since I have my contacts and calendars in iCloud, I turned off my contacts and calendars, then signed into Facebook, that way if they tried pulling anything, there would be nothing there. Then I flipped the contacts/calendar settings to off, then I turned back on my contacts and calendars. Everything seems O.K., so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.