Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hi,

Was just wondering since I use my iPP as my primary email client at work, is it a problem to have it plugged into power all the time when I‘m using it, so the screen can always stay on? Will this degrade battery life and it would be better to discharge and recharge it over night?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I keep mine plugged in most of the time. I don't want to be in the position where it's run halfway down and I suddenly need to take it somewhere and won't have access to power.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Generally speaking I believe it’s a bit harder on the battyif the device is being plugged in all the time but I doubt the effects on the battery can be felt in real life over the 3-5 years that you’ll likely be using the iPad.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,

Was just wondering since I use my iPP as my primary email client at work, is it a problem to have it plugged into power all the time when I‘m using it, so the screen can always stay on? Will this degrade battery life and it would be better to discharge and recharge it over night?
No, I wouldn't say so.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Hi,

You'll hear various answers from Apple techs and people on here... I have asked at-least 30 times over the past 9 years and the majority of people said it will not harm it at all... unless a lightning strikes your house and blows out your fuse. ;) They recommend unplugging here and there to keep the atoms moving and active, but again having it plugged in 24/7 is not going to kill it. I did that for my 2010 iPad 1 and it still works like a beast today.

K.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
There is a reason Apple is adding smart charging in iOS 13. Smart charging is essentially going to learn when you usually take your device off the charger in the morning, and it's going to hold your battery at 80% until about 2 hours before that time.

The reasoning? A battery sitting there at 80% incurs less wear and tear. A lithium ion battery gets put under much more stress when it's sitting there at capacity but not being drained at all. It's the same reason why they recommend leaving an electric vehicle at 80% if you're going to go on vacation for a while and not drive the car. 80% is enough to keep its systems up and running while you're gone and not run all the way down to nothing, and it avoids having the battery sitting there unused at 100%. It's just harder on the battery, plain and simple.

That being said, I am not one of those crazy people who only ever charges their devices up to 80%. If I put it on the charger, I let it go all the way up to capacity--life's too short to be micromanaging my batteries all the time and I let the OS do that. But if Apple is adding this precaution into their operating systems to keep the battery lower than 100% for as long as possible, there is probably something to the science.
[doublepost=1559852675][/doublepost]
Apple more recently added a feature to prevent heavy wear of batteries on devices plugged in for long periods of time.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208710
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208710
I didn't realize smart charging also lowered capacity for prolonged periods of being plugged in--that's pretty awesome! But still--that feature isn't in there yet, so anyone who is constantly leaving their iPad or iPhone plugged in is putting undue wear and tear on the battery.

I get it though--I seem to go through almost a full charge a day on my iPad Pro and I hate not having any juice left when I need it for night time stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.