Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

higgalls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
With Windows PC's/Laptops, I used to completely format and reload Windows on a yearly basis as it would get progressively slower.
I haven't had that issue with Mac OS. However, I do wonder... is it best to backup everything, format, and install High Sierra from scratch, and then re-setup everything?
Does anyone see any noticeably improvements from doing it? My MacBook Pro is running fine at the moment though... except the occasional graphics corruption usually meaning it is due for a restart (I just sleep my MacBook pro all the time, and only restart when really needed).

Thanks.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I have never found the need. I started with Jaguar, and upgraded through several years of OSes without a clean install. It was a nice change from the Windows routine you mentioned. The only time I start clean is when I buy a new computer, where I drag and drop my old user directory onto the new machine.

A.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Only times I've ever installed OSX from scratch have been when I've had HDD failures, upgraded to bigger HDDs or SSDs and one time when something was causing re-occurring kernel panics (turns out it was Opera).

As for rebooting, that only really happens when I install system updates that require it to complete.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Old/longtime windows user here. Been using a Mac for the last year and a half and I have never felt the need to wipe clean and have never had any issues. I have gone from Yosemite to El Capitan to Sierra to High Sierra (including all the betas and GM) by just upgrading/going over the prior OS.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Always good to start a new version of macOS with a clean build. I never get the niggles and issues other people complain about by performing a clean install. Only negative about a clean install is that it's time consuming to set everything up again, but it's worth it.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Always good to start a new version of macOS with a clean build. I never get the niggles and issues other people complain about by performing a clean install. Only negative about a clean install is that it's time consuming to set everything up again, but it's worth it.
Why?

Reactions: h9826790

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I guess I don't agree. From experience, Sierra used to take up 125GB, pretty much the same system profile now takes up 109GB. MacOS installers seem to be pretty clean and tidy in terms of removing remnants.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

No crap carried over, no troublesome lingering issues carried over, caches blitzed & started from scratch (a very good thing) and I've always experienced 100% stability with a clean install, unlike upgrades. With a fresh install and freshly installed apps it feels like a brand new machine as I've also purged crap I no longer want or require.

Miss Daredevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2016
I'm wondering now whether to do a clean install of High Sierra or not.

I'm having issues with Facetime and iMessage, keep getting an error and they won't sign in and activate. Tried everything suggested to solve the issue, nothing worked. Do you think a clean install could maybe solve this problem or should I not bother just because of these two?

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Moved from Windows to Mac, at home, 15 years ago. The only time I've done a clean install is when buying a new machine, or replacing a failed HDD. I've never had issues upgrading over the older OS. OS X is a dream compared to what Windows is in regards to upgrading.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
What I see is "clean installation" makes more problem up to this moment. Upgrade via Appstore is fine. But I've seen few case about they download the installer, create USB drive, format the SSD, try to install High Sierra and stuck there.

I just can't see why don't use the simple "OTA" method but go for a more complicated (and more chance to make error) method.

Reactions: LarryJoe33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.