Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
My suggestion: don’t worry about how you charge your device. Use it however you like or need to be.
my iPad Pro 11” M1 has 1100+ charging cycles and 87% battery health. Still can play heavy games on the go for 2 hours or so, or light games for 4+ hours, and I care nothing about how to charge the battery short of keeping in mind to not do deep discharge (which will hurt battery badly).

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The farther the battery discharges between charging, the harder it is on the battery.

This is the general trend:

"You can do over 40,000 charge/discharge cycles when going from 30% to 70% only. Or over 35,000 charge/discharge cycles from 20% to 80%; 28,000 cycles from 10% to 90%; 15,000 cycles from 8% to 92%, 7,500 cylces from 6% to 94%, and the capacity reduction goes faster and faster, finally reaching 500 cycles when recharging from 0% to 100%."

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Extreme states of charge are bad, whether that's 0% or 100%. Ideally, keep the charge near 50%. Realistically, keep it between 20%-80%.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Extreme states of charge are bad, whether that's 0% or 100%. Ideally, keep the charge near 50%. Realistically, keep it between 20%-80%.
New iPhone 15 Pro. I have the charge limited to 80% and I just created a Shortcut automation to shutdown the phone when battery drops to under 20%. The automation asks for confirmation so I can abort but since the iPhone powers on when connected to a charger, it should be convenient enough to shutdown until I can get to a charger. Until then I can rely on my Apple Watch.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
New iPhone 15 Pro. I have the charge limited to 80% and I just created a Shortcut automation to shutdown the phone when battery drops to under 20%. The automation asks for confirmation so I can abort but since the iPhone powers on when connected to a charger, it should be convenient enough to shutdown until I can get to a charger. Until then I can rely on my Apple Watch.
That sounds like a useful thing - I’d like to try this could you please tell me how to do this

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
My iPhone 13 is kept charged between 20 and 80%, using a 5w charger.

I followed this "regime" with my iPhone 11 and after almost four years, the battery health was still 90%. Pretty good considering I'm a medium to heavy-ish user.

Sure, battery replacements are cheap, but it's just something I like to do.

Reactions: turbochgd

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
That sounds like a useful thing - I’d like to try this could you please tell me how to do this
Shortcuts app. Create a new shortcut. Add action. Search for Shutdown. Tap. Done. Go to automation. Tap +. Scroll to battery level. When 20%. Falls below. Run immediately. Next. Choose your Shutdown action. Done.

Reactions: turbochgd

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
Stupid and harmful advice picked up off the Internet. At least read a book
A 50 percent charge is the "corridor" for long-term storage of the battery, which will be put into preservation
Discharge to 0 is not dangerous for the battery, as well as 100% charge. For a 100% charge, the battery must be calibrated, then you can tell what level it is charged to and whether the SoC and SoH controller is lying. Critical discharge, in which the battery is discharged, is dangerous, but to achieve it you need to not charge the battery for a long time.
Why keep it in such a charge corridor? This was said on your favorite youtube and you give in to mass hysteria?

Last edited:

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
The farther the battery discharges between charging, the harder it is on the battery.

This is the general trend:

"You can do over 40,000 charge/discharge cycles when going from 30% to 70% only. Or over 35,000 charge/discharge cycles from 20% to 80%; 28,000 cycles from 10% to 90%; 15,000 cycles from 8% to 92%, 7,500 cylces from 6% to 94%, and the capacity reduction goes faster and faster, finally reaching 500 cycles when recharging from 0% to 100%."
I will increase the number of recharge cycles by charging with reduced voltage at a certain temperature with full battery calibration ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I will charge my iPhone 15 Pro and continue on life it really does not matter. I did when I bought the phone with AppleCare + and I intend to keep he phone for at least 3 to possibly 4 years. If I think I need the phone to last the entire day and night I charge it up to 100%. I bought it, I paid for it and I will use it and charge it as I want. Since I am just an average user. My last three iPhones a iPhone 7 was absolutely a disaster (actually a bad logic board I found out later) and I went with a iPhone 8 that I had for three years and was at 93% when I traded it in for a iPhone 11 Pro. The iPhone 11 Pro was at 98% when I gifted it to my niece and I got a iPhone 14 Pro and that was all on me as I made a mistake and did not get enough storage and it was at 100% when I traded it in for a iPhone 15 Pro.

All these iPhones were fine I do check battery health about every 6 months but then ignore and continue to use them as I see fit.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
I used to discharge all of my devices, until they turned themselves off, then would fully juice them back to 100%.

Never harmed my batteries at all.

Now, I just charge when I feel I need to.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I just use my phones and charge as they need it. Always goes on the charger overnight. I’ve only had one battery changed and on the 12 Pro. I ended up with a new phone cause Apple scratched up my phone in the process.

Reactions: chabig

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks again guys!

Also another question, is it ok if I stop charging it(say, remove from Magsafe cuz I have to take the phone somewhere) before it is full, then charge again before it is low batt? Like on and off charge due to circumstance.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Yeah I am lol. I guess doesnt help when my 12PM dipped to 82% first year and seeing all other battery threads.

Your battery will last the longest by not exposing it to extremes like it sounds like you have done in the past. Running to empty or near empty and/or keeping at 100% is not good for battery longevity.

I limit to 80% optimized charging and only use maybe 20-30% of my battery everyday. If you live all day on your phone, I would charge back to 80% when it drops to 30-40%. This will avoid the extremes that decrease battery life.

Many in this forum will tell you to just stop worrying about it as your battery is a "consumable" and can be replaced in a couple of years. Even doing what I suggest will only have "some" effect on battery longevity. If you are running through a full battery everyday or less than a day, you are getting your money's worth out of that battery and it will need to be replaced in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.