Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I guess it depends on the usage.

First and foremost, this is a workstation computer. If you're only a gamer and never plan to use Mac OS, get a more powerful Windows machine with the latest CPU. The Xeons will never be better than those Intel and AMD CPUs. This can be a good match if you're using it for work production (video, audio) and must use Mac OS and Windows at the same time. The only downside to getting a 7,1 Mac Pro is the price. So if you can write it off, go for it.

But what is more critical in the proposition value for 7,1 Mac Pro now that the full migration of Apple Silicon has happened? I would say it's for people who still want to leverage both Windows and Mac in one machine, like me. I'm not a 100% gamer or work production person, but I do both casually and you can put in so many HDDs, SSDs, and PCIEs without needing to use 2 machines. I also liked the modularity of Mac Pro where I used to own 5,1 and used that machine for 10 years by personalizing and upgrading parts that I liked. We all know we won't have any update for 7,1 in the next couple of Mac OS' but something like 5,1 where you can keep updating the Mac OS could and would likely happen. And on the Windows side, we likely will be able to upgrade as much as we want.

At the end of the day, I mentioned that the price will be the only downside. Aside from the price, why not 7,1??? It is the most balanced, performant, and - want to say this too - sexiest machine on the planet right now. I also have the wheels too :)

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I also have the wheels too :)

So I heard a story recently, from a source whose source is a reasonably senior Apple person.

The way the industrial design and engineering department decided which of the wheel design options was going to production, was they took a bunch of 7,1 pre-production chassis’ with the various Wheel options fitted up to the top of a long, steep road near Cupertino, and then spent the afternoon riding them down the hill soapbox derby style. The best surviving design is the one that went to production.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
So I heard a story recently, from a source whose source is a reasonably senior Apple person.

The way the industrial design and engineering department decided which of the wheel design options was going to production, was they took a bunch of 7,1 pre-production chassis’ with the various Wheel options fitted up to the top of a long, steep road near Cupertino, and then spent the afternoon riding them down the hill soapbox derby style. The best surviving design is the one that went to production.

I dont care if that story is true. I want to believe so much, it's become true! :D

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base

That was "Our Crack Marketing Team", that Craig mentioned all the time. - Absolutely they did that.. -

Reactions: SymeonArgyrus

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
With the insulting joke the new Mac "Pro" is, looks like I'll get a 2019 MP, and upgrade/customize it as long as possible. Then simultaneously start planning to exit the Apple ecosystem. I've had enough of being iMistreated with iDisposable & iArrogant products.

I'm somewhat in the same boat checking out various flavors of Linux. They'd have to pull out a pretty major miracle in the M3 iteration for me to change my sentiment.

Reactions: Jethro!

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I'm somewhat in the same boat checking out various flavors of Linux. They'd have to pull out a pretty major miracle in the M3 iteration for me to change my sentiment.

Check out Fedora 38 with Gnome -- you can see where macOS Ventura devs are stealing ideas from

I'm in the same boat -- once the 7,1 is unsupported, I may go back to Linux 100% and swap my 6800xt for a 4090

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I haven't tried Ventura, still on Monterey. My intuition tells me not to.
I have the impression that macOS and iOS is being merged to some degree.
Much like my bank, who just recently updated their website. It is a horrible experience to log in now. Seems like its UI has been optimised for smartphones. And I struggle to navigate.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Check out Fedora 38 with Gnome -- you can see where macOS Ventura devs are stealing ideas from

I'm in the same boat -- once the 7,1 is unsupported, I may go back to Linux 100% and swap my 6800xt for a 4090

I’ve been watching videos of the way KDE Plasma 6 can be customised, and it’s frankly appalling how much you can do, and how little you can do on macOS by contrast.

Reactions: prefuse07

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I have been using linux Mint on one of my 5.1 mac pro's, very impressed with it. with the way OSX ventura and sonoma are going with issue's and looking more like IOS i might well go linux mint route, at least it supports all GFX hardware nvidia or AMD.

With OSX being more developed towards M chips it will be Linux the way i go in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.