Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm going to college this year and I'm going to study Multimedia which means I need a new computer as I'll use it on a daily basis. I'll use it for:
  • graphic design
  • editing photos
  • 3D graphics
  • audio-visual postproduction
  • web design
I'm interested in Macbook Pro 13" 2019 1.4GHz, 8GB, 256GB SSD. However, I'm not sure that this computer will meet my requirements. Can anyone of you tell me if this Macbook is good enough for what I need?
Thanks everyone for you response.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
That really depends on how big the projects will get. Both 3D graphics and the postproduction part can easily become too taxing for that machine.

Polda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2019
That really depends on how big the projects will get. Both 3D graphics and the postproduction part can easily become too taxing for that machine.
Thanks for your response. Do you think that 16GB of RAM would solve it and make the Macbook powerful enough?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Those requirements are fairly vague, the machine which suits could span anything from a 12" MacBook to something massively powerful. I suspect all should be okay except 3D graphics depending on the size of the projects you are working on. I have an older and less powerful model and it copes fine with 4K editing in FCP, but struggles with larger Motion/AE projects. If most of your workload is going to be photos/graphic design/web design, the 13" will be more than enough. If however you do need more capability for 3D rendering, I'd look at a 15" with a dedicated GPU.

Reactions: eulslix

Polda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2019
Those requirements are fairly vague, the machine which suits could span anything from a 12" MacBook to something massively powerful. I suspect all should be okay except 3D graphics depending on the size of the projects you are working on. I have an older and less powerful model and it copes fine with 4K editing in FCP, but struggles with larger Motion/AE projects. If most of your workload is going to be photos/graphic design/web design, the 13" will be more than enough. If however you do need more capability for 3D rendering, I'd look at a 15" with a dedicated GPU.
That's what i wanted to hear. :-D Thanks for your answer.

Reactions: cambookpro

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016

Yeah, pretty much that. Except that graphic design can get taxing too with big projects, depending on what you do. Design Systems can become really complex.

Reactions: cambookpro

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
In school, you'll likely not need more than a basic MacBook Pro if you want to do homework.

I've seriously never been in a school that doesn't offer powerful workstations (or just regular computers) for required coursework.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.