Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetroGamer360

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Today is the last day of my return period (I feel like that is the start of every thread recently) and am considering swapping my 512GB for a 1TB Vision Pro. I can likely get by with the 512GB model but figured it was worth the $200 for the additional storage if not a hassle at the Apple Store. Has anyone swapped storage sizes? Was it just swapping the main unit or did the entire package (battery pack, light seal, etc.) have to be exchanged?

Thanks,

Michael

Reactions: James.K.Polk

RetroGamer360

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
That's what i figured. Not worth the headache. I also checked with local Apple Stores and none have the 1tb model in stock so looks like I will just stick with my 512gb version.

Reactions: fatTribble

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
What makes you think you need the additional storage. When I asked the Size basis at the store they came back with 256gb is plenty unless you plan to download many movies for offline use. To clarify I know nothing just parroting what I was told. I am interested in hearing your thoughts. I have not purchased yet still deciding.

RetroGamer360

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
It was more A matter of future proofing than anything else. I figured if I was already sunk this far in the extra cost of the one terabyte wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

Reactions: G5isAlive

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm going the other way. Can't download my music and iTunes Store movie / TV show downloads are limited to 1080p (don't even think they download in HDR anymore).

To answer your question, I doubt they would do a unit-only swap for a storage change. Light Seals are a specific exception, but for a storage swap I would imagine they'll make you return the entire thing and buy a new one

Reactions: James.K.Polk

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I went the other direction. I simply returned my 512GB using a return label and purchased a new 256GB model. I did have ample available credit on my Apple Card to hold two charges until I receive the refund on the first one.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
It was more A matter of future proofing than anything else. I figured if I was already sunk this far in the extra cost of the one terabyte wouldn’t be that big of a deal.
That’s a good way of looking at it, and how I do as well — that being said, I think 512GB is a safe bet until we all have a better idea of our storage needs. I’m planning on upgrading with each new generation, so future proofing for me isn’t a priority.

RetroGamer360

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I ultimately ended up swapping my 512gb for the 1tb at local Apple Store. It was after the 14 day return period but they couldn’t have made the process easier. Super quick, in and out. Was definitely worth the extra $200.

Reactions: fatTribble

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I ultimately ended up swapping my 512gb for the 1tb at local Apple Store. It was after the 14 day return period but they couldn’t have made the process easier. Super quick, in and out. Was definitely worth the extra $200.
Did you have to replace the whole unit (Light Seal and all)?

RetroGamer360

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Yes, it was a full swap, which I didn’t mind. I went in expecting that to be the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.