Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Hey everyone! I'm starting to build my YouTube channel, one video at a time. My channel is mostly based on tech, gadgets and Apple products.

In the newest one that I'm working on, I'd like to mention some aspects of the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro for comparison. I was thinking of showing a couple of images of both phones as visual reference. I know Apple used to release certain images as "PR" for fair use. But I can't seem to find them anywhere on their website.

Does anyone here know if I just use some of the images from its webpage? I believe my use would fall under fair use, as it is purely for reference. Thanks in advance!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hey everyone! I'm starting to build my YouTube channel, one video at a time. My channel is mostly based on tech, gadgets and Apple products.

In the newest one that I'm working on, I'd like to mention some aspects of the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro for comparison. I was thinking of showing a couple of images of both phones as visual reference. I know Apple used to release certain images as "PR" for fair use. But I can't seem to find them anywhere on their website.

Does anyone here know if I just use some of the images from its webpage? I believe my use would fall under fair use, as it is purely for reference. Thanks in advance!

The doctrine of "fair use" allows editorial reporting to include what would otherwise be copyright or protected images... but only in limited fashion... for example, you could play a short clip of a move as part of a movie review, but you could not show the entire movie. I am also sure the Apple would aggressively defend their patents, trademarks and copyrights... but as an editorial work, it most likely would pass muster under "fair use".

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Technically, it's not legal and also I've noticed that it depends on the country.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I think you can use an image for editorial or news reporting under the fair use doctrine. You are not allowed to use an image as an advertisement -- to sell yourself or a product or your YouTube channel generally.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Since you admitted you are building your channel and subscriber base - that indicates you are in it for profit - so I would create your own photography or if you are unable buy some stock photos.

Reactions: mtbdudex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.