Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is AirPods Pro Gen 2 USB-C Sound Quality Better?

• Total voters

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I purchased the new AirPods Pro USB-C a couple of weeks ago to replace my ailing Gen 1 AirPods Pro. Until today I used them exclusively for phone calls and Teams meetings, but today I went for a de-compression walk and decided to just listen to music.

My playlist was Majnoon’s most popular songs streamed from Apple Music via cellular. I was not just surprised, but shocked at the sound quality of the AirPods Pro over cellular.

The music was alive! across the board — percussion, string, and woodwind instruments as well as vocals were crisp, clean, and undistorted; Spatial Audio was an unexpectedly pleasant plus; and transparency mode was truly transparent (without the characteristic white noise that I assumed was a given based on experience with my Gen 1s).

A great example of this is Majnoon’s Meșk — the strings, drums, flute and vocals are hypnotic and perfectly delivered. When I got home, I listened to it on my OG HomePods stereo pair which was also awesome, but Spatial Audio on the AirPods Pro Gen 2 gives them an edge in my opinion.

For me AirPods Pro USB-C Gen 2 is a striking improvement over my Gen 1 AirPods Pro, but I’m curious to know if others have had the same experience — hence this poll! It’s nothing serious. Just simple curiosity, so please share your thoughts and opinions. 🙏🏽
Wednesday, 01 Nov 2023 19:25:33.png

TheGeneralist

macrumors regular
May 1, 2020
Same here - in direct comparison to my AirPods Pro 1st gen, I was really surprised and deeply impressed how much better the new generation has become (USB-C version here too, but I would assume when paired with an iPhone there should be no difference between APP2 Lightning and USB-C).

Reactions: heretiq

adamclarkthomas

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
I’ve noticed a few other little nice things that matter for the overall experience:
- Plays sound when charging
- Battery meters seem to always show in my battery widget, even when not connected.
- The lanyard hook is very useful
- New volume gestures, of course
- And adaptive mode and conversational awareness take the cake for me. I LOVE having the audio adjust itself on the fly, and LOVE LOVE LOVE the audio dropping for conversations. Takes away some of the worry about wearing headphones when interacting with others for me.

Baseiseough

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2023
I haven't heard the sound of the USB-C AirPods Pro, but I also think there is a significant sound quality improvement between my Gen1 AirPods Pro and the second one (lightning). I really love the sound of them.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Spatial Audio works way better during movies than music. I can barely ear the difference between Dolby Atmos songs and stereo ones, but easily can while watching movies. Spatial Audio with an Apple TV and AirPods Pro is an impressive experience.

Last edited:

Baseiseough

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2023
I’ve noticed a few other little nice things that matter for the overall experience:
- Battery meters seem to always show in my battery widget, even when not connected.
- And adaptive mode and conversational awareness take the cake for me. I LOVE having the audio adjust itself on the fly, and LOVE LOVE LOVE the audio dropping for conversations. Takes away some of the worry about wearing headphones when interacting with others for me.
Audio dropping during conversations is good, but loud, consistent noises being progressively reduced (like a fan, an engine or a vacuum cleaner), while other sounds still get through is just phenomenal.

New volume gestures are great too! Can't believe you couldn't lower or rise the APP1 volume by sliding your fingers on the stem.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I think Spatial Audio works way better during movies than music.

in movies, it's a little more obvious where sounds should go. Helicopter flies overhead on the screen, the sound flies overhead. Also movies have a lot more discrete sounds (sounds that can be stand alone). With music the instruments all have to work together, so you want them separated, but not too much.

The reddit thread below has quite a few examples of good atmos mixes, but the song in the first comment (boom by tiesto) really shows it off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleMusic/comments/nv2zk7
also check out "dolby labs" on Apple Music, they have one album. There are a couple channel check tracks where a voice reads off where they're speaking from. and some well mixed atmos music.

Baseiseough

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2023
in movies, it's a little more obvious where sounds should go. Helicopter flies overhead on the screen, the sound flies overhead. Also movies have a lot more discrete sounds (sounds that can be stand alone). With music the instruments all have to work together, so you want them separated, but not too much.

The reddit thread below has quite a few examples of good atmos mixes, but the song in the first comment (boom by tiesto) really shows it off.

also check out "dolby labs" on Apple Music, they have one album. There are a couple channel check tracks where a voice reads off where they're speaking from. and some well mixed atmos music.
I will certainly check Dolby Labs on Apple Music then. Thanks!

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Ditto to all of the above @adamclarkthomas. It really is solid upgrade.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

Great suggestion! Dolby Labs and Boom definitely demonstrate the quality of Spatial Audio. Wow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.