Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one is more worth it to buy in year 2020?

• Brand New Refurbished iPhone X 64GB

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Brand New iPhone SE 64GB

Votes: 31 54.4%

• Total voters

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Neither, I wouldn't get anything less than 128GB space in a phone these days. In the case if the SE I think it's $50 more.
I won’t go for 64GB for myself. I am using iPhone X 256gb now. And I am buying 512GB or even 1TB iphone 12 pro max.

this one is meant for my dad who is not IT savvy. That’s why I consider iphone X instead of iPhone SE. not only becos phone X is slightly cheaper but also becos it has a bigger display. I myself already find iPhone X display size is normal only. I would think that iphone se display size will be a struggle to my dad. Also one thing is that iPhone X has a better display and still quite powerful enough for normal usage for my dad.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I'd always say a Face ID / full display iPhone over an SE, but in this case and during the pandemic I'd probably go SE. Also, the X tended to get warm really fast and force the screen to dim to lower maximum brightnesses in daylight to compensate. Not fun to deal with in the sun - all iPhones have this but I noticed the X did it very, very frequently whereas my XS and 11 Pro were much better about it.

The SE is a better phone for the times, if you don't want to or cannot swing an 11.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
as per title.
I would go for the X but that’s just because I like the way it looks over the SE. I mean you can’t go wrong with either phone to be honest. Each one has pros and cons to it. It all comes down to what you want but the end of the day it doesn’t really matter which one you pick they’re both awesome phones.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I just think the X is the superior piece of technology, by far - from design to display to materials

My vote goes for the X

While there is a spec difference between the A11 and A13, these chips are not designed For consumers to be upgrading every year or two. The A11 is still super powerful today and rivals the new midrange SD700 series chips launching this year

And in terms of launching system apps, there’s no difference. The X also does have a better battery and iOS 13 with its dark mode looks far more pleasing to the eye on the OLED display. Don’t forget the camera module in the SE is the same as the 8, which is the same as the X. The A13 brings some nice updates but you’re splitting hairs with daytime shots and I think portraits look better with a true telephoto lens

I’d personally take the X over the SE every day of the week but that’s just me. I prefer the more Modern design, premium hardware, Face ID and significantly superior display. Clearly opinions are divided on this, just have to go with what features you care about more.

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
I had a similar choice last week, I had a 64Gb X but the screen was damaged and was getting worse by the day...

* New SE at 49,280円 ($460), 55,000円 ($512), or 65,000円 ($600)
* Refurbished X 256gb for 66,000円 ($610)
* "Rank A" used XS 256gb for 64,000円 ($590) (Perfect screen, battery 99.4% with 18 cycles)
* Screen repair and battery replacement: 38000円 ($350), the sides of my phone are scratched up so little resale value.

I went for the XS. Tbh, I don't notice any speed difference with the X and probably wouldn't with an 11/SE either. The only real noticeable difference is the camera at night and when using the "night mode alternatives". The XS has a bigger sensor and I assume the SE also has the bigger sensor. Oh and I can puff the cheeks of the Anomiji stickers lol... important!

TouchID is a pull right now with masks. It was very tempting!

Likewise, the smaller size of the SE interested me, you can put a thin case on it and it will be smaller than a naked X/XS/11 Pro.

The X has the zoom lens, which I did use a lot and will continue to use on the XS. That's the main thing I will miss with the smaller 12 and almost made me get an 11 Pro...

I've also read some bad things on Reddit about the SE's battery life being rather poor.

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
I had a similar choice last week, I had a 64Gb X but the screen was damaged and was getting worse by the day...

* New SE at 49,280円 ($460), 55,000円 ($512), or 65,000円 ($600)
* Refurbished X 256gb for 66,000円 ($610)
* "Rank A" used XS 256gb for 64,000円 ($590) (Perfect screen, battery 99.4% with 18 cycles)
* Screen repair and battery replacement: 38000円 ($350), the sides of my phone are scratched up so little resale value.

I went for the XS. Tbh, I don't notice any speed difference with the X and probably wouldn't with an 11/SE either. The only real noticeable difference is the camera at night and when using the "night mode alternatives". The XS has a bigger sensor and I assume the SE also has the bigger sensor. Oh and I can puff the cheeks of the Anomiji stickers lol... important!

TouchID is a pull right now with masks. It was very tempting!

Likewise, the smaller size of the SE interested me, you can put a thin case on it and it will be smaller than a naked X/XS/11 Pro.

The X has the zoom lens, which I did use a lot and will continue to use on the XS. That's the main thing I will miss with the smaller 12 and almost made me get an 11 Pro...

I've also read some bad things on Reddit about the SE's battery life being rather poor.

i decided to go with iPhone X 64GB. i think it is a good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.