Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
A recent symptom in my saga with PowerBeats Pro earbuds. I open the case, they connect, I put them in my ears, hear the bong that they are working, tap Music, select a song, and hear a few notes, then a crunching noise, and nothing. It appears that the music is still playing, but there is no sound coming out of the earbuds. I have resorted to shutting the iPhone off, and restarting it, and then I get music, and the buttons on the earbuds work again. Lately I did have some success changing the audio to the iPhone, and back to the earbuds, which still makes me wondering which one is causing this, and this hasn't worked 100% either.

Is it the iPhone tripping out, shutting down Bluetooth, ignoring the buttons on the earbuds, or is it the earbuds, tripping out and ignoring the iPhone, and not responding, bilaterally to the buttons?

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you've got another Bluetooth device and it never disconnects, chances are it's the earbuds that are at fault.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
+1?It’s most likely the earbuds. Depending on the iPhones age/condition, it could be the iPhone but the hardware on the BT earbuds is much more susceptible to failure, especially if they’ve been exposed to sweat.

Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I agree with the other two, it may be the earphones. Try another set of earphones with the phone or try these earphones elsewhere for a while to see if the issue is reproducible.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I do have another pair of the PBPs, but gave them to the wife, and she can't find the little buggers. I have Airpod Pros, but that might not be a valid comparison. Dang, hope it's not the buds. I just got over the whole 'one won't charge thing', and now this. Hmm... Maybe I should stick to the wired AirPods. At least they are cheaper...

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Nothing wrong with using the AirPods Pro as a comparison. You just need to see if there is any issues with the BT connection. I would also try pairing the problematic earbuds to your wife’s phone and see if the problem replicates there.
I feel your pain though. Going through similar experience with PowerBeats Pros and Apple is no help.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Going through similar experience with PowerBeats Pros and Apple is no help.

Yes, they aren't much help. I did get an executive relations person to gasp though. I suggested that the pins in the case should be a fraction of an inch longer, as Apple 'engineers' were telling her to tell me that the pins weren't making contact with the buds. I, like so many, were pushing them into the case, but, at least I believe, that the problem is the ear loops knocking the buds out of position when the case is closed. So I mentioned that, and she seemed really shocked. I don't know why. The case seems a little temperamental when trying to seat the buds in it at times. Almost like there's an edge, or something, and closing the case, the loops do sometimes keep the case open slightly.

But, as an asdie, mine have been charging fine (except for one hiccup, by keeping the case plugged in 100% of the time. I can use them for hours, but if the case is 100% charged, the charging goes by without fail. I've thought that there must be something in the charging circuit that is causing the issues. Sure, it could be positioning the thingsin the case, but that's too odd, unless the case isn't designed for the buds.

Anyway, I'll try the Airpod Pros and see what happens. The problem is the 'crunch no sound' doesn't happen often, and neither does the button issue.

Apple's answer will be 'send them in, and we'll replace them'. Hmm... And then what? Amazing...

Hey, and if this is 'sweat', should they be able to have this as the lead in their description?

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 12.55.38 PM.jpg

"built for performance with a reinforced design for sweat and water resistance, so you can take your workouts to the next level". Not so much?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Oh so you’re problem is with Powerbeats Pros. Your original post says Backbeats Pro. Yeah, I’m almost certain it’s the PBP now. Had the crunching sound, right earbud routinely not being charged or dead after sitting overnight in the case. Figured I had nothing to lose by sending them in to Apple. Well, I didn’t lose anything but Apple only had them for a few hours before they sent them back with a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Didn’t even try to replicate the problem. Just did a software diagnostic and kicked ‘em back. Turn around time was lickidy split, though, I’ll credit them that. My PBP are still acting up and a constant frustration. Looking forward to 12/26/20 when the credit card extended warranty kicks in and I can get my money back.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Oh so you’re problem is with Powerbeats Pros. Your original post says Backbeats Pro. Yeah, I’m almost certain it’s the PBP now. Had the crunching sound, right earbud routinely not being charged or dead after sitting overnight in the case. Figured I had nothing to lose by sending them in to Apple. Well, I didn’t lose anything but Apple only had them for a few hours before they sent them back with a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Didn’t even try to replicate the problem. Just did a software diagnostic and kicked ‘em back. Turn around time was lickidy split, though, I’ll credit them that. My PBP are still acting up and a constant frustration. Looking forward to 12/26/20 when the credit card extended warranty kicks in and I can get my money back.

Bugger, yes, I brain farted that. They have been the best, the BackBeats. *sigh*

And I did it again. Not enough caffeine? Wow... They do seem to have a reputation for crappiness, the PowerBeats Pros.

Oh, and Apple didn't replace them? That's all they say to me. Send them in, we'll replace them. That was when they were still pretty new. Then they said that I should have gotten Applecare with them, and then said 'Oh it wasn't offered them', but they wouldn't sell it to me then. Talk about harsh. 'Yeah, you *could* have gotten Applecare, but you would have had to use time travel to get it, and then come back now, and...' With all of their propaganda in their online lsiting, they make them sound almost indestructible for workouts.

Last edited:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
What are you doing when the music stops working?

With my AirPods Pro when I activate multitasking in some apps, the music cuts out.

Bringing up multitasking in the Amazon app triggers it every time. Also does it connected to my car’s Bluetooth. So annoying.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I have a similar issue with my BeatsX. I have no issues with either of my AirPods but I occasionally run into a situation where I am listening to my BeatsX and they just shut off. If I restart them, they work fine. But is a bit of a hassle. It never happens with the AirPods.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I have a similar issue with my BeatsX. I have no issues with either of my AirPods but I occasionally run into a situation where I am listening to my BeatsX and they just shut off. If I restart them, they work fine. But is a bit of a hassle. It never happens with the AirPods.

Wild stretch here, but there is a setting to 'shake to pause', or something. Drove me nuts years ago. I don't know if they still have that as a 'feature'. Garmin had a feature where if you slowed down, their devices would pause your event. Sometime not restarting it. Yeah, turn that puppy off...

Reactions: mk313

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
What are you doing when the music stops working?

With my AirPods Pro when I activate multitasking in some apps, the music cuts out.

Bringing up multitasking in the Amazon app triggers it every time. Also does it connected to my car’s Bluetooth. So annoying.

Here's how it works, or doesn't.

I ride my bike trainer, so I get all dolled up, and am about to hop on. I grab my iPhone, and wake it up. I then open the case of the PBP (POWERbeats Pros) and wait until I get the 'BWB' (Big White Box). If I don't see BWB, I check the Bluetooth app and see if they prematurely connected. (It happens, embarrassing) I take the right one out first, usually, and twist it in, and hear the *BONG*, knowing it is connected, unless it prematurely connected. Then I twist in the left one. With both installed, I open the 'Music' app, and tap genres and 'Alternative/Punk', and USUALLY start hearing a 'random' track. On the aforementioned 'bad days', I hear about a half second of the track, a kinda crunching sound for a fraction of that time, and then absolutely nothing. The track (I think) is paused, but the Music Player shows the double sticks, meaning it's actually playing, althouth it's not. So at first, I would power off the iPhone. It ruined the beginning of the ride with drama. Then upon restarting, the PoserBeats Pros would automagically reconnect, and all is good. Once, I tried to switch the 'destination', and it played on the iPhone, AND played on the PBPs, leading me to believe that the iPhone had a bug up it's digital keester, and was good to go now. Leading me to believe it's the iPhone. Also the buttons work on restart, which again leads me to the iPhone misbehaving. A long description of 'the process'.

Grrr... Why can't technology just ducking work right the first time. I get the discharged bud problem 'fixed', and now this. Come on Apple. I'm just trying to be the best lab rat I can be.

I did get Airpods Pros. My ears are weird apparently. They only stay in if I point the 'stalk' straight ahead, twisting them just over 90 degrees from where I think they are supposed to be. Maybe I should try the expensive model of the bone conduction thingies. I fear the PBPs will give me the finger for the last time, and stop working for good. I have an ancient pair of Bose QC's, but I love them, and they would be too hot. I'd probably be swamped out pulling them off my head. So sad...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Thanks for the posts people. Appreciated. I'm so bummed at the performance (or lack) from these things. Sorry I bought them, at least the first pair...

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Oh, and Apple didn't replace them? That's all they say to me. Send them in, we'll replace them. That was when they were still pretty new. Then they said that I should have gotten Applecare with them, and then said 'Oh it wasn't offered them', but they wouldn't sell it to me then. Talk about harsh. 'Yeah, you *could* have gotten Applecare, but you would have had to use time travel to get it, and then come back now, and...' With all of their propaganda in their online lsiting, they make them sound almost indestructible for workouts.
Replacement was never mentioned but my adventure in sending them to Apple involved 3 calls, with each advisor giving me less confidence something would be done to resolve the issue. Lol my first call was just to gripe about what a lousy experience these $$$ earbuds were. I let them know that if their feedback page included a Beats products category, that I would make good use of it. Anyway that first call created the ticket that I eventually used to send my earbuds on a road trip to Loma Linda, CA (or something like that). To be fair, I think if the earbuds had failed the diagnostic test, or if I had AppleCare+, they would have replaced them. But I’m annoyed they didn’t even try to replicate the issue. I wonder if the technician even knew what the issue was.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Wild stretch here, but there is a setting to 'shake to pause', or something. Drove me nuts years ago. I don't know if they still have that as a 'feature'. Garmin had a feature where if you slowed down, their devices would pause your event. Sometime not restarting it. Yeah, turn that puppy off...

Thanks, I’ll check it out. Not sure if that’s the case or not but worth a look.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Here's how it works, or doesn't.

I ride my bike trainer, so I get all dolled up, and am about to hop on. I grab my iPhone, and wake it up. I then open the case of the PBP (POWERbeats Pros) and wait until I get the 'BWB' (Big White Box). If I don't see BWB, I check the Bluetooth app and see if they prematurely connected. (It happens, embarrassing) I take the right one out first, usually, and twist it in, and hear the *BONG*, knowing it is connected, unless it prematurely connected. Then I twist in the left one. With both installed, I open the 'Music' app, and tap genres and 'Alternative/Punk', and USUALLY start hearing a 'random' track. On the aforementioned 'bad days', I hear about a half second of the track, a kinda crunching sound for a fraction of that time, and then absolutely nothing. The track (I think) is paused, but the Music Player shows the double sticks, meaning it's actually playing, althouth it's not. So at first, I would power off the iPhone. It ruined the beginning of the ride with drama. Then upon restarting, the PoserBeats Pros would automagically reconnect, and all is good. Once, I tried to switch the 'destination', and it played on the iPhone, AND played on the PBPs, leading me to believe that the iPhone had a bug up it's digital keester, and was good to go now. Leading me to believe it's the iPhone. Also the buttons work on restart, which again leads me to the iPhone misbehaving. A long description of 'the process'.

Grrr... Why can't technology just ducking work right the first time. I get the discharged bud problem 'fixed', and now this. Come on Apple. I'm just trying to be the best lab rat I can be.

I did get Airpods Pros. My ears are weird apparently. They only stay in if I point the 'stalk' straight ahead, twisting them just over 90 degrees from where I think they are supposed to be. Maybe I should try the expensive model of the bone conduction thingies. I fear the PBPs will give me the finger for the last time, and stop working for good. I have an ancient pair of Bose QC's, but I love them, and they would be too hot. I'd probably be swamped out pulling them off my head. So sad...
Are the pros working properly for you?

And btw it’s not only your ears. My pros fall out constantly. I even bought some other ear tips to help but nope. That’s the one thing I hate about them.

They only stay in if I’m sitting down still :mad:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Are the pros working properly for you?

And btw it’s not only your ears. My pros fall out constantly. I even bought some other ear tips to help but nope. That’s the one thing I hate about them.

They only stay in if I’m sitting down still :mad:

I tried them twice. They kept falling out. One longish ride, they fell out three times. And it's not like they just work their way out and I'm not paying attention, it's like they are standing on the edge of the cliff and JUMP! All of a sudden, they are heading towards the floor, or, possibly my chainrings. They did sortof weedle out a bit once or twice, and I was able to keep them in, but more often than not, it's 'GERONIMO!!!', to the floor. I found out the 'sticking straight forward' while walking with them, but haven't tried that on the trainer yet. And, a subtopic with Apple's apparently overblown claims, I wonder how sweat resistant they actually are, in the long, and short term. It seems to me that if they are advertising the things as being 'sweat resistant', they shouldn't be able to balk about sweat in the darn things. We can't put them in a baggie to save them after all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.