Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Way too expensive to buy it again... i have the 512 GB SSD with 16 GB RAM and am not in the U.S these things cost a bombshell in this part of the world.

Want to use it for a long long time to come..I am eyeing atleast 5 Years.
Apple computers CAN last 5+ years. Some people still rock Mac Pro 2013 even today. Outdated software yes, but machine still works.

It is totally unnecessary to worry about these kind of minuscule issue when cleaning dust, keeping components cool and dry has more impacts on your Mac. I understand you want to take good care about it. But frying Bluetooth chip is not one of them. On another note, let’s say if your Mac’s Bluetooth chip is so bad that it can be fried quickly, not using it ain‘t gonna prolong the inevitable that much either, since the chip would still subject to current flowing inside the machine somewhat even if you turn it off in macOS.

victor.espina

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2015
I have a basic question ? is it safe for the health for the condition of the Mac Mini to constantly have Bluetooth on and be connected with a Bluetooth Keyboard and a Bluetooth Mouse ? Does it not harm/alter the life of Mac Mini ? From a Hardware Standpoint ?

How does Apple Magic Keyboard and Trackpad connect to a Mac Mini ? is it also via Bluetooth or can you connect them using a Cable aswell?
Well as MacMini user since 2014, using both BT keyboard and mouses/trackball, I can say there is no harm or whatsoever. I used a MacMini Late 2012 for about 6 years with apple's keyboard & mouse with no problem at all, and then replace them with a Akko 3068B mechanical keyboard and a Kensington Expert Mouse, both via internal BT, and no problems so far. A couple of years ago I moved to a MacMini Late 2018 and has been using it since then without any issues derived from BT usage.

Reactions: K two

victor.espina

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2015
Apple computers CAN last 5+ years. Some people still rock Mac Pro 2013 even today. Outdated software yes, but machine still works.

It is totally unnecessary to worry about these kind of minuscule issue when cleaning dust, keeping components cool and dry has more impacts on your Mac. I understand you want to take good care about it. But frying Bluetooth chip is not one of them. On another note, let’s say if your Mac’s Bluetooth chip is so bad that it can be fried quickly, not using it ain‘t gonna prolong the inevitable that much either, since the chip would still subject to current flowing inside the machine somewhat even if you turn it off in macOS.
I used my MacMini Late 2012 for 6 years (8-12 hours per day), running a VM with Windows all the time along with Docker containers and the machine still works as a charm (16 GB RAM , 1 TB SSD). I replaced it last year with a MacMini Late 2018 (256 GB SSD, 32 GB RAM) and I expect it to serve me well for at least 5 - 6 years more. I still keep the old MacMini Late 2012 as a fail safe in case anything happens to the current one.

MacMinis are little power & reliable horses indeed.

Reactions: Shirasaki and K two

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Can I switch my Mac on? We all know how taxing it is for the hardware to be used. So, maybe, better to just leave it in the box? In a fireproof case? At an undisclosed location? Throw away all my notes about it? Wipe my brain clean so I forget that I ever owned it? Would that be good? Just a question?

NewOldStock

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2023
Yes the hamster on the wheel will die if you don't feed it.
Is this reverse Ai asking us all the questions like a doctor would.
Hello how are you today here take this!
Electrons don't wear out they just go to other places.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I think you're right, don't know why my brain thought it was communicating via the lightning cable.

They do connect via the lightning cable when plugged in. I’ve used a Magic Keyboard plugged into a PC with no Bluetooth and a RaspberryPi with bluetooth disabled and it functions just fine as a USB keyboard.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
This is a battery thing that doesn't apply to a Mac Mini

Or any battery device that's plugged in, or even one running on the battery, although it may use more power.

I actually get a big kick out of using my various BT gear as they seem to go forever on a single charge.

They are meant to be connected and left alone for weeks or even months. This is for the battery driven devices, so considering the hugely more powerful, non-battery Mac mini, I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited:

victor.espina

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2015
This is a battery thing that doesn't apply to a Mac Mini

Or any battery device that's plugged in, or even one running on the battery, although it may use more power.

I actually get a big kick out of using my various BT gear as they seem to go forever on a single charge.

They are meant to be connected and left alone for weeks or even months. This is for the battery driven devices, so considering the hugely more powerful, non-battery Mac mini, I wouldn't worry about that.
Tell that to my Galaxy Watch... it barely goes for 1 day and half when BT is turned on. My BT Magic Keyboard did used to ran for several weeks before requiring a recharge, but since then I've had two mechanical BT keyboards (one Keychrone and my current Akko) and the BT autonomy on both is pathetic... a week at the most. In comparison, my Kensington Expert Mouse with 2 AA rechargable batteris can go for a month or more with a single charge.

Reactions: rocketbuc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.