Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Well, if all goes to plan (new iphone comes out, current 3G customers get subsidized, rumored $10 monthly reduced rate), then I'll be selling my 3G on craigslist. I bought a slider a couple days ago and I'm thinking about returning it now that I don't think I'll be keeping my iPhone 3G. I mean, I won't be getting much more by selling it with a slider, maybe like $5-10 more? Is this a good idea?

My current 3G is in absolute pristine condition as of now, btw.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
damn, all i have is the incase leather folio case which i totally hate but i guess i'll have to keep it in there. I also have the power support air jacket, but that scratches the bezel like no other, right?

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
If you are worried that the phone might get damaged then keep the case. I would not count on getting anymore money for the case. If I was in the market to buy a used iPhone I would not pay any more because it came with a case or even two. The most important thing to me would be the condition of the phone itself. Where the case comes in is as a bonus to the Iphone. If I am trying to pick between two or three iPhones and one comes with a case or two and the other doesn't I would probably pick the one that comes with the case(s). You are adding to the marketability.

If I decide to sell my 3G and pick up a new version I will give all my cases away with it. What am I going to do with them without the phone.

My advise is to keep the case and protect it. When the time comes see how much other iPhones are selling for. If they are selling like hotcakes, you might be able to ask for and get more out of it.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Well, if all goes to plan (new iphone comes out, current 3G customers get subsidized, rumored $10 monthly reduced rate), then I'll be selling my 3G on craigslist. I bought a slider a couple days ago and I'm thinking about returning it now that I don't think I'll be keeping my iPhone 3G. I mean, I won't be getting much more by selling it with a slider, maybe like $5-10 more? Is this a good idea?

My current 3G is in absolute pristine condition as of now, btw.

I haven't read these rumors of 3G people getting subsidized and a reduced monthly rate. That sounds too good to be true. I doubt it is. I probably missed this rumor because i pretty much avoid all rumors of the new iPhone. I know i won't buy it until i can get it subsidized and i'd imagine that wouldn't be til next year when my 2 years are up.
If you plan on selling your phone, without a doubt keep the case on it. That's the only reason why i use a case.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
It's probably the best time to get a case. You're going to see the iPhone 3G cases phased out around when the new iPhone is released.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
but a $38 (inc tax) slider case that i just got last week!? esp if i'm only going to be keeping it for a month or so and as people say, im not gonna get any more for it if im selling it with it?

i mean, if i had this case for a while and got good use out of it, then by all means(not that i can return it at that point anyways), but i'm really just leaning towards returning it...

GADeputy

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009
It's probably the best time to get a case. You're going to see the iPhone 3G cases phased out around when the new iPhone is released.

I have to agree with you. I just bought a bunch of Belkin Leather Hard Cases for $1 each at a local Dollar Tree store. These cases still sell in other places for $29.95. I think Belkin might be closing out their 3G model cases for an upcoming new iPhone version. If anyone is looking for a really nice case right now you can't beat a buck a piece.
Here's a video review I found on YouTube about the same ones that I just bought...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-47_GOJzxE

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
i just hope to god those chinese forum rumors about the new iphone are true, how it says it'll look similar or even exactly the same as the 3G. that would make this case buying experience at this point much easier

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
I know, those cases are so much. Brought a couple just end up not even using them and retuning them. With all that said, how are you with your phone, if you are careful them don't keep it, if not then ket it will help with the resale value.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Eh, buy a decent cheap case in the meantime then when you get the new iPhone you could sell the 3G as mint condition :D

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
damn, all i have is the incase leather folio case which i totally hate but i guess i'll have to keep it in there. I also have the power support air jacket, but that scratches the bezel like no other, right?

I've not had one scratch on my phone due to this "case."

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I dunno, my roommate's air jacket, my gf's air jacket, and my black air jacket have all caused horizontal scratches just on part of the chrome bezel that it covers, and lots of people here say it has done on theirs as well. Basically it scratches your bezel unless you take it off and clean it regularly so that dust/debris/lint doesn't catch on the edges over the bezel.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
I dunno, my roommate's air jacket, my gf's air jacket, and my black air jacket have all caused horizontal scratches just on part of the chrome bezel that it covers, and lots of people here say it has done on theirs as well. Basically it scratches your bezel unless you take it off and clean it regularly so that dust/debris/lint doesn't catch on the edges over the bezel.

I have the crystal. Not sure if that would make a difference... but again, I just haven't had the same experience. *Knock on wood.*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.