Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

to1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I have heard that you can buy mobileme subscriptions through amazon for much cheaper than through apple. I did indeed look on amazon UK and I was seeing prices for £30!! This is half the price of a UK subscription.

My question is, are these genuine and is it safe to do so? The sellers are rated highly but how are they able to sell it for so cheap?

I read on another forum that you have to be careful with these as some people have had their accounts frozen as the seller has bought it with a stolen credit card. Has anyone else experienced this or are these just rumours?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have always purchased MobileMe from Amazon, but I have never used their reseller program. The dependability of the individual sellers is not something that we can just give you a simple answer on. You just have to do the normal amount of homework on individuals.

to1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I have always purchased MobileMe from Amazon, but I have never used their reseller program. The dependability of the individual sellers is not something that we can just give you a simple answer on. You just have to do the normal amount of homework on individuals.

Have you always bought it directly from amazon? Have you ever bought it of ebay? I appreciate you can't give me information on individual sellers, just wondering if you were able to give me insight into how they are able to sell it so cheap? Same goes for the sellers on ebay.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Have you always bought it directly from amazon?
Yes

Have you ever bought it of ebay?
Never off of ebay, but that’s because I don’t buy much online.

I appreciate you can't give me information on individual sellers, just wondering if you were able to give me insight into how they are able to sell it so cheap? Same goes for the sellers on ebay.

I cannot say how they can sell the boxes for so cheap. My guess is that they are selling older versions (that are still valid I should point out) and take a hit to get people to buy other things that they sell. That is just a guess though. I don’t know how much resellers pay for older merchandise.

I just pay 70 bucks and get a full box from Amazon. I might get it for cheaper from a reputable seller from ebay though.

UpDownAeroplane

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
through amazon themselves it is just as reliable as apple.

i don't know why anyone would buy anything at apple.com unless you are custom ordering a computer. it's cheaper on amazon and there's no sales tax.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yes Amazon is fine. For me they are an excellent online retail (Prime rocks!).

I avoid Ebay whenever possible. I definitely avoid Ebay for subscription services (you're pretty much asking to be scammed).

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Yes Amazon is fine. For me they are an excellent online retail (Prime rocks!).

I avoid Ebay whenever possible. I definitely avoid Ebay for subscription services (you're pretty much asking to be scammed).
There are people on eBay who regularly sell MobileMe keys with a huge amount of feedback. I bought from one of these people and haven't had any problems yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.