Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
This person I know asked me recomendations for his first smartphone. He’s been using dummy phones until now. I’m thinking if it’s appropriate to recommend an iPhone. For example iPhone SE 2022 or iPhone 11 which are still sold as new in my country for around 500€. We don’t have refurbished here. Or is it better to recommend some entry level affordable Android for 200€. Considering that he is currently unemployed and has a low income. I personally think that while the iPhone is a bit more expensive to buy, it would last longer and he would have better user experience, especially coming from dummy phone.

Reactions: TheAppleFan2004

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
How about a secondhand device with battery replaced? Can be even cheaper, even factoring the cost of new battery.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would recommend a few options at a variety of price points, listing what you feel are the pros and cons of each. Only he can make the decision as to how much he can and should spend.
Pretty much this. It's what I was going to recommend.

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I wouldn't buy the 11 anymore, it will only get next years OS update and then it is end of life.

So either go for the SE22 or anything that isn't older than two years if there are any special offers.

Or look for Google Pixel, the cheapest current model will get updates almost similar to IPhones. The downside of pixels is their oled screens who flicker a lot, what is annoying if a person is sensitive for that.

I would go for the SE22 if the screen size isn't too small for the person.

Jhonjhon236

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
I wouldn't buy the 11 anymore, it will only get next years OS update and then it is end of life.

So either go for the SE22 or anything that isn't older than two years if there are any special offers.

Or look for Google Pixel, the cheapest current model will get updates almost similar to IPhones. The downside of pixels is their oled screens who flicker a lot, what is annoying if a person is sensitive for that.

I would go for the SE22 if the screen size isn't too small for the person.
You have a source on that? A13 iPads are currently being sold (9th gen) and the SE 2020 would be only 4 years old. No way Apple is going to cut off devices with only 4 years of support.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Considering that he is currently unemployed and has a low income. I personally think that while the iPhone is a bit more expensive to buy, it would last longer and he would have better user experience, especially coming from dummy phone.

Probably not a good idea. Consider his immediate needs first. It's not as if a non-iPhone will become unusable after 12 months.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
XR can be had pretty cheap now. I wouldn’t touch any of the SE models, would be better off even with Android than an SE

• Angry
Reactions: ignatius345

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’m not sure why you feel the need to ask. If you feel you’re giving good advice you’ll be able to provide your own reasoning. If you’re not sure if your advice is any good, why provide it in the first place?
Besides there are tons of used devices available everywhere as well.

Reactions: kitKAC

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
This person I know asked me recomendations for his first smartphone. He’s been using dummy phones until now. I’m thinking if it’s appropriate to recommend an iPhone. For example iPhone SE 2022 or iPhone 11 which are still sold as new in my country for around 500€. We don’t have refurbished here. Or is it better to recommend some entry level affordable Android for 200€. Considering that he is currently unemployed and has a low income. I personally think that while the iPhone is a bit more expensive to buy, it would last longer and he would have better user experience, especially coming from dummy phone.
I think your own advice would be better than anyone‘s here since we don’t know what country your friend is in or their circumstances.

I’m assuming you have better insight into their local market: What’s popular, better supported, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run (data plans, repairs), cheaper to replace, etc. You also know what needs your friend is trying to meet: Find a job, be contactable (email, sms, voice) talk to family (maybe international?) linked in, play games, etc., etc.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'd recommend a used or refurbished iPhone. This is this person's first smartphone, and iOS is dead easy to use, and Apple I think has more tightly integrated hardware and software. An iPhone needn't break the bank if you shop carefully, and has a good chance of staying usable for a long time.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
If someone is on a budget then a refurbished, or entry level iPhone is fine. It provides years of updates, warranty, ease of use and on the whole will be a reliable experience for them.

Reactions: ignatius345

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Entry-level Android.

I know people here want to push iPhone, but sometimes it doesn't make sense. This is especially true given the conditions described by OP.

A used iPhone may be defective or come with unreliable parts.

BeerDrinkerDan

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
IMO if they said "Hey, can you recommend a phone for someone on a budget like mine?" then you give a response based on that; if they said "Hey, can you recommend a phone?" then you respond according to that.

If it's the first, then I'd say recommending an iPhone 14 Pro Max is a pretty bad response, but a refurbished/used phone or an SE seems a good pitch on the iPhone side and then whatever Android-based phones fall in that budget too.

Ultimately, unless they specifically shared their budget for this phone, you just answer it with whatever phones you recommend.

-dan

ish4y

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
I just bought a se 2020 used with 95% battery health for €170. runs just fine

Recommending the iPhone SE (2nd generation) today as a main phone is criminal, when countless Android mid-rangers offer 5G bands, huge OLED displays and 4000+ mAh batteries at the same price point. I purchased the SE 2 at launch and it was dated back then with its abysmal 3-hour battery life.

The only budget iPhone that should be considered today are the SE (3rd generation) and a refurbished 12 for a somewhat decent experience.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Recommending the iPhone SE (2nd generation) today as a main phone is criminal, when countless Android mid-rangers offer 5G bands, huge OLED displays and 4000+ mAh batteries at the same price point. I purchased the SE 2 at launch and it was dated back then with its abysmal 3-hour battery life.

The only budget iPhone that should be considered today are the SE (3rd generation) and a refurbished 12 for a somewhat decent experience.
I hope he found a phone in the meantime.

sure there are better phones. But as an unemployed person I would spent my money elsewhere

Krypton Deer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Considering that he is currently unemployed and has a low income. I personally think that while the iPhone is a bit more expensive to buy, it would last longer and he would have better user experience, especially coming from dummy phone.
€200 Android. If unemployed + low income, I’d spend as little as possible on phone. There are solid options like Poco and Redmi.

Longer software support may not apply for second hand and past gen entry iPhone. Also, repair cost may be prohibitive if anything happens.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
€200 Android. If unemployed + low income, I’d spend as little as possible on phone. There are solid options like Poco and Redmi.

Same here. You can pick up a Samsung A34 for around €200-230 off Amazon.
Very nice screen.
Good battery life.
Good selection of colours (if that's important to the owner)
Decent enough chipset to get all of your daily activities done (ie web browsing, emails, calls, messages, social media, music, videos etc etc). Games are ok, just need to keep the settings on the lower side and reduce expectations...
128GB internal storage so you've got a fair bit of space for photos and videos. You can also add more storage if needed...
1 front and 3 rear cameras; cameras themselves are decent with good lighting, but are fair in lower light situations...basically they'll get the job done.

Reviews here:

Last edited:

ish4y

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
Same here. You can pick up a Samsung A34 for around €200-230 off Amazon.
Very nice screen.
Good battery life.
Good selection of colours (if that's important to the owner)
Decent enough chipset to get all of your daily activities done (ie web browsing, emails, calls, messages, social media, music, videos etc etc). Skips are ok games, just need to keep the settings low.
128GB internal storage so you've got a fair bit of space for photos and videos.
1 front and 3 rear camears; cameras themselves are decent with good lighting, but fall apart in lower light...basically they'll get the job done.

Reviews here:

This year Samsung did a great job with their mid-rangers.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I would also go with the less expensive Android but only if he can get a much more current or new Android device for less. Once he gets a job and his financial situation improves, then he can consider switching to an iPhone.

Reactions: SYCAMOREGRAD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.