Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, and was wondering if it's OK to stack things (books, keyboards, etc...) on top of a closed lid MacBook Pro? I have a 14" MBP and always put things like multiple books on top of it.

I guess it doesn't hurt the computer?

Does anyone know the weight limit? Do you also stack things on your MBP?

Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: Gk200062YVR

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, and was wondering if it's OK to stack things (books, keyboards, etc...) on top of a closed lid MacBook Pro? I have a 14" MBP and always put things like multiple books on top of it.

Thank you!
Why do you do that?

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I put a debrand skin on mine just because I don't want to get it scratched. I only really put my glasses and phone and sometimes my ipad on it when its closed. Nothing too heavy!

Reactions: jaymc

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Thank you!
Never stack anything on top of your MBP or MBA.

Reactions: OldITGeek

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I put a large cup of water on top of my MacBook once, and then I could see a ring on my laptop screen where I put it down. It was so annoying. My guess was that it pressed into the back of the screen. Don’t stack anything on the back of your Mac.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
Wow not a single pro stacker here. I guess I was the only one stacking but should probably stop.
You can stack a little (probably more on MBP than MBA) but then we’re talking about your cellphone, some magazines or a paperback book. You shouldn’t make a habit out of it though and definitely not put heavy stuff on it. And to be honest, you’ll rarely be in a situation where you have to stack stuff on your MacBook, so why would you do it?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Thank you!
I wouldn't. It's an almost $2k computer.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Don’t do this. The weight will push the screen against the keyboard and can cause damage. apple has really tight tolerances on their devices. You also can damage the hinge.

Not sure why you would ever want to do this. Maybe get one of those 1” monitor raisers. Then you can slide the MBP underneath and stack all the books you want on the shelf.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Don’t do this. The weight will push the screen against the keyboard and can cause damage. apple has really tight tolerances on their devices. You also can damage the hinge.
Just last week I had one of my MacBook Pros into Apple for a keyboard/top cover replacement. Upon picking it up, I noticed the screen had cracked near the bottom/hinge. These things are insanely fragile. Fortunately, Apple is repairing without hassle.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Keep in mind that packing it too tightly in a backpack can have the same effect.
This.

The secret code for the stacking question is searching for "key imprint". And there you will see the "but I just put it in my backpack with all my books and papers! Sure, I had a lot of books, but...".

And if you have one of those snap-on webcam blockers, just asking for trouble with stacking, backpacks.

Upon picking it up, I noticed the screen had cracked near the bottom/hinge. These things are insanely fragile.
Eh. Had a Dell back in the stone-age that developed the same problem, and that one was built like a tank. Never had that with a Mac.

Guess royal we have a tendency to flip up the lid quickly and or until feel the hard stop, adding a little extra flex into it. Pushing from one side vs center might add some extra stress as well.

Reactions: CarAnalogy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.