Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I listened to my trusted MR helpers, and decided to opt for the Shure E2Cs as my good quality headphones. I bought them from the apple store in regents street. I am disappointed to say that although the sound quality is great, they are really difficult to put on. I am only 15 so my ears are not fully grown, but a recommender of the headphones was only only 13. I have tried all three covers; small, big and rubber. Each time I put on my headphones (as shown in the included booklet, it takes over a minute. I tried from the front and back, like said in the booklet. Do others have this problem, and does it go away?

Is there any chance that I could return them to the apple store if it remains awkward?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i don't know about your problems with the earphones, but i'd suggest getting the Apple in-ear earphones for on the go and then a pair of big, over-the-ear headphones for at home. just a thought. you should be able to return them; there should be a "return by" date on your receipt.

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
i don't know about your problems with the earphones, but i'd suggest getting the Apple in-ear earphones for on the go and then a pair of big, over-the-ear headphones for at home. just a thought. you should be able to return them; there should be a "return by" date on your receipt.

Thanks, but will this count if I've worn them?

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
strange. No fit at all? :confused:

I had to use the clear medium ones, and i just pull my earlobe down and back, and slide the nozzle in.

good luck!

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
strange. No fit at all? :confused:

I had to use the clear medium ones, and i just pull my earlobe down and back, and slide the nozzle in.

good luck!

They do fit, but it takes at least one minute to put them in at all.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
you got some messed up ears ;) (just kidding)
I use the Medium black rubber ones...are you sure you have them in the right way and side...

sohosid

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Portland
No, it's not just you.

It took me about 2 months to find the right fit. About a month after the warranty ran out, one of the buds has devolped a loose connection....bugger.

When you get them in properly, they *do* sound great though!

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
you got some messed up ears ;) (just kidding)
I use the Medium black rubber ones...are you sure you have them in the right way and side...

Yes, because they get in in the end, and I've tried them every way round.

ADDITION: I'm going away on the 14th so I need to decide if I should take them back, anyway, can I return them to Apple if I've worn them.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I listened to my trusted MR helpers, and decided to opt for the Shure E2Cs as my good quality headphones. I bought them from the apple store in regents street. I am disappointed to say that although the sound quality is great, they are really difficult to put on. I am only 15 so my ears are not fully grown, but a recommender of the headphones was only only 13. I have tried all three covers; small, big and rubber. Each time I put on my headphones (as shown in the included booklet, it takes over a minute. I tried from the front and back, like said in the booklet. Do others have this problem, and does it go away?

Is there any chance that I could return them to the apple store if it remains awkward?

It's not just you. These earphones are designed in the same style as monitor earphones for stage musicians. They need to be fitted and then left. I have a set of these and it is hard to get them fitted to your ear. Not necessarily in the ear itself more the way the cable has to go over the top of your ear and the orientation of the ear pice in your earhole.

It doesn't help if you have hair around your ears too.

It's a shame they're so fiddly as the sound is wicked.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
It's not just you. These earphones are designed in the same style as monitor earphones for stage musicians. They need to be fitted and then left. I have a set of these and it is hard to get them fitted to your ear. Not necessarily in the ear itself more the way the cable has to go over the top of your ear and the orientation of the ear pice in your earhole.

It doesn't help if you have hair around your ears too.

It's a shame they're so fiddly as the sound is wicked.

Completely agree emotion. Huge shame really, but the long cord length (I prefer 1.2m - that extra 30cm on the Shure's is just too much) and the over-the-ears fit just isn't working for me. I know the more expensive models have a cord that will mold to the shape of your ears and remain that way, but I'm not looking to fork out that kinda cash.

My e2c's will be hitting ebay tonight more than likely. Just got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-CK7's which I'm burning in at the moment...

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Don't give up on your Shures until you try the yellow collapsible foam ear sleeves. They're easily the most compliant earpieces, conforming to pretty much any ear hole size. They may have them at your apple store, or you may have to order them from Shure.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Hey they look good. I was considering Sennheiser cx300.

How do you like the ATHs?

The fit is perfect straight away, the cord is nice and thick (not as thick as the e2c cord though) the buds are very light thanks to the titanium. Sound so far - the bass is immediately noticeable as superior. Nice solid punchy bass, not soft at all. All down to the 11mm driver I think! Treble is good, but not as good as the e2c's - yet. Apparently after a 24-72hr burn in the treble gets to be just as good as the e2c's.

Got them at a great price at audiocubes. Not to long ago they were $160... I got them for $75.. so with the rather awesome exchange rate they were only £38 shipped! Bargain!

So far - its all good :D

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Don't give up on your Shures until you try the yellow collapsible foam ear sleeves. They're easily the most compliant earpieces, conforming to pretty much any ear hole size. They may have them at your apple store, or you may have to order them from Shure.

For me it's not really the fit in the ear itself (though geting the orientation of the unit is tricky). It's also the fiddling with getting the cable over your ear etc

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Noted. I think I might try. When ordering from US did you have an customs/vat issues?

Nope - never have with audiocubes! I've made around 6 orders in the last couple of years and not once did I get any custom problems. Despite being a US store, the products get shipped from Japan due to the fact most things are released over there first/only.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Nope - never have with audiocubes! I've made around 6 orders in the last couple of years and not once did I get any custom problems. Despite being a US store, the products get shipped from Japan due to the fact most things are released over there first/only.

Thanks. I'll get on with that order then...

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Wahoo! Somehow, they now just seem to fit, I kept with the same heads, and I have no idea what I was doing wrong. Strange but awesome.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
For me it's not really the fit in the ear itself (though geting the orientation of the unit is tricky). It's also the fiddling with getting the cable over your ear etc

You shouldn't have to thread the cable over the top of your ear. As long as the sleeve fits your ear and you're not tugging on the cable while the earpiece is in place, they shouldn't fall out. The over the ear method is just a "suggestion." See what the OP was able to achieve with a little patience? :)

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
You shouldn't have to thread the cable over the top of your ear. As long as the sleeve fits your ear and you're not tugging on the cable while the earpiece is in place, they shouldn't fall out. The over the ear method is just a "suggestion." See what the OP was able to achieve with a little patience? :)

I (the OP) much prefer the over the ear method, even though the headphones fit without it. I'm still trying to figure out what I was doing wrong originally.

iJUNKY

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
Belfast, Ireland
i'm glad this thread got resolved as it did. I just ordered a set of e2c's from amazon for xmas. at £42.99 i thought it was a bargain. i have heard about the difficulty of fitting them, but i'm sure it just takes time and patience, i'm sick and tired of my old apple phones - you can't hear a thing if your walking down the street, and n the bus everyone else can hear what you're listening to, and the bass is woeful.

i hope when i get these it will open up a whole new world of mobile music.

i was thinking of getting these new v-moda
tk971lla_125.jpg
but couldn't be arsed waiting for a european seller, plus haven't heard if they're any good, whereas i've heard good things about the e2cs.

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
I (the OP) much prefer the over the ear method, even though the headphones fit without it. I'm still trying to figure out what I was doing wrong originally.
I dont know either, but I know exactly what you mean! :D

Now it takes maybe 5 seconds and they are perfect. I recommend them to everyone I know.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
i'm glad this thread got resolved as it did. I just ordered a set of e2c's from amazon for xmas. at £42.99 i thought it was a bargain. i have heard about the difficulty of fitting them, but i'm sure it just takes time and patience, i'm sick and tired of my old apple phones - you can't hear a thing if your walking down the street, and n the bus everyone else can hear what you're listening to, and the bass is woeful.

i hope when i get these it will open up a whole new world of mobile music.

i was thinking of getting these new v-moda
tk971lla_125.jpg
but couldn't be arsed waiting for a european seller, plus haven't heard if they're any good, whereas i've heard good things about the e2cs.

With any shure product, they do a GREAT job of blocking out noise. Someone else mentioned on this forum that they missed the alarm clock because they were still in from the night before, and I've had the same thing happen. They isolate pretty much any (not super loud) noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.