Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you seen this as well with your car?

• WTF are you talking about?! Total BS!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jiehanzheng

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Hi all,

I saw on MacRumors that iOS 10.3 beta became available on Apple's public beta site, so I signed up and gave it a try yesterday. I'm loving everything on the phone, but when I drove to dinner tonight and connected the phone to my car, the infotainment system froze after a few minutes of playing Apple Music playlists (things that froze include navigation, music, handsfree, etc).

Here are the details:

I connected my iPhone 7 the Lightning cable (connected to car USB port), opened up Music app to switch to my favorite Apple Music playlist, and started shuffle play. Everything worked as usual for a few minutes, and then I realized my navigation screen froze and the car no longer announces turns.

I was going to pull over and restart the car, but looks like the infotainment system restarted itself (car center screen turned blank, then logo, then navigation went back up after ~30 seconds). Music and navigation restarted and I felt like it was just a one-time glitch of my car. However, after about five minutes, it all happened again.

During the second infotainment auto-restart, I restarted my phone as well, hoping that it would fix the issue. But unfortunately it didn't. The navigation froze for a third time.

I finally gave up, disconnected my phone, and connected my girlfriend's iPhone (not on beta--she's running iOS 10.2.1). It lasted about 10 minutes without problem, after which I arrived at my destination.

A few points to note:
  • The car is 2015.5 Volvo XC60.
  • Interestingly, this didn't happen when I drove to the restaurant; whole thing happened on our way back.
  • My iPhone 7 worked well in the past few months, when I used to run the latest, stable iOS releases.
  • My girlfriend's iPhone 7, not on beta, worked fine as well.
  • I understand that Volvo's software definitely has bugs. Under no circumstances should connecting a Bluetooth device crash the infotainment system. However, previous iOS versions worked fine on my car, so I wonder what changed.
Thanks guys! Please do let me know if you are experiencing the same issue, or any more ideas for isolating and troubleshooting the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.