Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
Hi! I got my airpods last week and I've been enjoying them and I had them out of my ears when a Youtube ad ended and the "up next" video played and the sound was waayyyyyy to loud. I scrambled to turn the volume down but Im worried about my airpods and Im worried the sound could be blown out now or in the future if this happens again. I tried playing some different types of music and didnt notice any distortion so I think Im safe but I figured I'd ask since I'm new to owning these little headphones :D

Thank you!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hi! I got my airpods last week and I've been enjoying them and I had them out of my ears when a Youtube ad ended and the "up next" video played and the sound was waayyyyyy to loud. I scrambled to turn the volume down but Im worried about my airpods and Im worried the sound could be blown out now or in the future if this happens again. I tried playing some different types of music and didnt notice any distortion so I think Im safe but I figured I'd ask since I'm new to owning these little headphones :D

In theory, yes. In practice, no. They're made to be able to deal with way louder signals than your iPhone or Mac outputs even if turned all the way up. The "Find My AirPods" function can play tones way louder than the max volume normally allowed.

Reactions: skadd and AronDraws

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
In theory, yes. In practice, no. They're made to be able to deal with way louder signals than your iPhone or Mac outputs even if turned all the way up. The "Find My AirPods" function can play tones way louder than the max volume normally allowed.
Oh my gosh thank you for letting me know that! I didn't know there was a find function either! Yeah the video was crazy loud and I was like oh hell, not now after I just got them!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oh my gosh thank you for letting me know that! I didn't know there was a find function either! Yeah the video was crazy loud and I was like oh hell, not now after I just got them!

I use my Airpods at Max volume quite a bit when I'm weightlifting. And honestly I think would be fairly difficult to blow the drivers out. I think they are fairly loud, but not to the point where they would be distorted.

Reactions: AronDraws

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Hmm, yet another reason not to share your Apple ID account. The prank potential is high for this, not to mention painful.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

As of right now, it's only available in the iOS beta, but it's coming to everyone soon. And don't ever use it when they're in your ears, cause it can damage your hearing. There's a massive big warning when you push the button.
It'll start out at a relatively low volume, but quickly ramp up to the point that it could smash your ears.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Geezum! Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome, mate
The AirPods are really durable, so don't worry too much. Even though they aren't rated for water resistance, they've survived quite a few water tests, but in terms of depth, swimming, and getting a round in a washing machine. drop tests from up high as well (see EverythingApplePro on YouTube for more)

r.mm9405

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2019

Thank you!
[doublepost=1556425990][/doublepost]Hey! So I got AirPods in December, and they’ve gotten quiet recently. I learned how to fix that, however I’m almost positive I blew them out somehow! At first I thought it had the solution to my earlier problem, but it didn’t have the same solution. The bass sounds so distorted and rough if that makes sense. The bass doesn’t sound normal at all and I do believe you can blow out the speakers. It’s only been 4 months and I’ve lived my AirPods, but Im now thinking I should get new ones..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.