Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaurentR2D2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Paris - France
Hello,

I have a :

Mac Pro rev 1,1 / El Capitan 10.11.6 (installed with Pikify) / 15 Gb RAM /
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 Mb

I've created a Bootcamp partition using Bootcamp utility, but even if Bootcamp utility see my external dvd drive, and that I also see it in the Boot drive section of the System preferences, my Mac doesn't boot on it, and I don't see it when I hold Alt on startup. Is there a way that I can install Windows 7 with Parallels Desktop and to clone it on the Bootcamp partition after ? I have the Windows bootcamp softwares on an usb key. I can't use Windows 7 with Parallels Desktop since I need DirectX 11 and Parallels Desktop doesn't support it. Also, bad luck for me, my superdrive is out of order :)

Thank you

Last edited:

LaurentR2D2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Paris - France
I've finally been able to open the superdrive by taking it out of the machine, and pushing a button on it. Besides not opening with the Mac keyboard, it works, so I've been able to install Windows on my bootcamp partition. So no need to clone anymore :) I wish all Mac were as easy to open as this machine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.