Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Is it possible to connect a WiiU to an iMac? And use the iMac's screen as the display for the WiiU? And use all the WiiU internals, ie same thing as via the TV, only difference is swap the screen from TV to iMac?

I was thinking a HDMI to another port, possibly TB (if that even exists) might do the job. But I just don't know. Would anyone have an idea of how to do this ? And if it is even possible?

And would there have to be special considerations for the audio?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
If I'm not mistaken the 27" iMac has an HDMI input so you can use it as an external display - that should work

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
6gROnl.jpg

I use the Kanex XD adapter on my iMac, though it's a pre-thunderbolt model.

Whenever it kicks the bucket or I decide to get a new Mac I'll probably get a standard monitor to use in conjunction with a Mac Mini or Macbook Air so I can keep running a similar setup.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Whenever it kicks the bucket or I decide to get a new Mac I'll probably get a standard monitor to use in conjunction with a Mac Mini or Macbook Air so I can keep running a similar setup.

That's my setup...I have a HDMI-to-DVI converter cable (cheap on Amazon) hooking up my Wii U to my Dell monitor, and have the Mac hooked up via the displayport cable.

The only problem I encountered was recently with Zelda...it's detailed in another post, but, for whatever reason, every other game played the sound out through the gamepad ok, so I could just wear headphones. Wind Waker has required me to hook up my old Wii composite cables to get sound out.

Of course, the solution would be to get a computer monitor with sound/built-in speakers, or something.

sampson01

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
wii u hooked up to mid 2010 27 inch iMac

Hey all, new to this forum so... I have no TV and want to use my iMac as the display for my wii u. I just bought a mini display port to hdmi converter for about 5 bucks on eBay. Hooked everything up and tried to go into target display mode by hitting cmd + f2 (well, fn + cmd + f2) This has no effect whatsoever. What the heck am I doing wrong? Very frustrating...

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Hey all, new to this forum so... I have no TV and want to use my iMac as the display for my wii u. I just bought a mini display port to hdmi converter for about 5 bucks on eBay. Hooked everything up and tried to go into target display mode by hitting cmd + f2 (well, fn + cmd + f2) This has no effect whatsoever. What the heck am I doing wrong? Very frustrating...

As stated above:

No, Target Display Mode requires the source to have MiniDisplay or ThunderBolt ports...
The Wii & Wii U do not have this so it will not work.

sampson01

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
So what you're saying is that the picture by Neoelectronaut a couple posts above mine is a fake?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
So what you're saying is that the picture by Neoelectronaut a couple posts above mine is a fake?

no. His mac is a pre thunderbolt mac which can work. That doesn't negate my statement.

He is using an adapter of some kind with mini display port. You need to hav a pre thunderbolt mac as mentoned above and the right adaptor to make it work. If yo don't - you are likley SOL.

sampson01

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
I do have a pre-thunderbolt Imac. I guess I can't get this thing to go into target display mode because I don't have the right adapter. Again, it's just a five dollar "premium mini display port to HDMI" adapter. I'm not sure if it matters or not but my mac is a single core i3

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
In that case, you are going to need something like that what was posted above:

http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

Whatever adapter you have isn’t going to be enough. It’s not doing the proper conversion. It’s likely just designed for video conversion and that’s it. It’s not a proper display source.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
The Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 should work for the later thunderbolt based iMacs. It is the only product that I know of that allows you to play games on current iMacs.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 should work for the later thunderbolt based iMacs. It is the only product that I know of that allows you to play games on current iMacs.

Would this also work for MacBook Pro? I would imagine so, but I can't find anyone that's tried it.

edit: noticed its usb 3.0 so definitely should.

the king1223

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
israel
6gROnl.jpg

[doublepost=1532101096][/doublepost]is that a 21 inch mac???????

Utanova

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2018
I have a late 2015 21-inch iMac, is there any other way for me to connect my wii u to my iMac?

ImaCowBRO

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2019
6gROnl.jpg

I have everything hooked up, but how do I get to the wiiu home menu?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.