Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfinity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2023
I have two old 27" Apple LED Cinema Displays that have power and the cable that slips into USB-A, MiniDisplay, and the magnetic alternate power option. That all runs out the back of the monitors.

I'm currently using a 2013 Mac Pro (trash can) and will be finally upgrading to the current Mac Studio, which uses USB-C for display connection and doesn't have a MiniDisplay port.

Basically, I know that the only way for me to continue using these monitors would be to get a USB-C (m) to MiniDisplay (f) adapter. However, I've heard many mixed reviews about whether this actually works. And yes I know to make sure that it's MiniDisplay and not Thunderbolt 2. The port looks the same but they are very much different.

I've looked at many adapters built with the marketing being for the purpose of connecting newer computers to these exact displays. But a lot of people say it simply doesn't work. I don't know why it wouldn't, but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm before I purchase the adapters. Because if it doesn't work I'm going to need entirely new monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.