Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahhhyeah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to create different workspaces on a macbook

I have different clients, and each one requires a different gsuite login, different folders, notes, programs, etc.

Different desktops doesn't do the trick (I usually use a couple for each client)

I tried creating different users. I thought it would be great if each user was already logged in to google, etc and I could switch between them and have nothing but their work, no other distractions.

But it seems to have taken a lot of memory. When I was logged in to 2, was super slow. Had to reset.

As mentioned, having various desktops doesn't do the trick

At the moment I use different browsers to have different gsuite logins (often with 1 in normal, another in incognito)... but gets crowded pretty quickly.

So, was wondering if there were any other solutions / ideas??

Thanks

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Browsers are likely the least memory intensive if you don't want to be constantly logging in/out of GSuite accounts. There are tons of browser variants based on Chromium and Mozilla you can get all running.

Chrome allows multiple users. Can't you just log Chrome into each user. Then quickly switch users thus GSuite accounts. Note that I don't use this feature. I couldn't say if it will work for this as intended.

There is the Firefox Multi-Account Container addon for Firefox. It's supposed to allow more than one account open on the same site at one time. There may be other addons for Chrome or Firefox with this or better functionality.

ahhhyeah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Browsers are likely the least memory intensive if you don't want to be constantly logging in/out of GSuite accounts. There are tons of browser variants based on Chromium and Mozilla you can get all running.

Chrome allows multiple users. Can't you just log Chrome into each user. Then quickly switch users thus GSuite accounts. Note that I don't use this feature. I couldn't say if it will work for this as intended.

There is the Firefox Multi-Account Container addon for Firefox. It's supposed to allow more than one account open on the same site at one time. There may be other addons for Chrome or Firefox with this or better functionality.

Thanks Velocity. I'll have a look at some addons and see.

I'm trying to find something that will do more than just the browsers too. i.e. For each client I'll have different word docs, photoshop, excel, writing programs, etc open.

Kind of going for a clean slate that I could click between (that would be the ideal goal). So when I'm working on one client, I have no other distractions and have all the clients stuff in front of me with a click.
Switching between users seemed to be a good idea... but it looks like it chewed too much ram (I'm wondering if having say Photoshop open in 2 different users, would chew 2x ram)

I've found this https://www.apptorium.com/workspaces
which looks like it creates a project file (with all the key docs, website links, etc) that can be launched with 1 click. I'll give it a go. It still means closing all other clients work / programs, etc. And still means distractions are at easy reach... but might be a happy medium.

Will try the browser addons now

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.