Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hey all,

So just trying to figure out some options here. Right now using personal hotspot from my iPhone using its 5G connection to connect to my laptop over Wi-Fi. I have it the iPhone maximum compatibly to off mode.

However I am now wondering if I will get an even faster connection if an Ethernet option is available for the iPhone 12 Pro I have.

So does a device exist that will allow me to connect via Ethernet from my iPhone to my laptop. Is an adapter for my iPhone of some sort available.

If an adapter is available which will also allow me to connect my usb c or lightning cable as well as the Ethernet cable to my laptop?

If an adapter is available is it a matter of just connecting it up and the internet should just connect on my laptop. As I don’t see an Ethernet option under personal hotspot. So any idea if this will work.

Am I likely to see a faster connection speed to the internet using this set up with my mobile and laptop?

Thanks in advance,

Miyagi

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ethernet via adapter/hub on iOS devices is unfortunately client mode only. You can tether with the Lightning to USB-A cable but that's limited to USB2 speeds (around 320 Mbps or 40 MB/s real world).

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The only wired connection way you can do it is iPhone plugged into laptop.

Since the iPhone is the “Router” when it’s acting as a hotspot, the lightning cable would act as an Ethernet cable metaphor.
I haven’t found connecting the iPhone to the laptop with its lightning cable any faster than just doing it wirelessly as far as hotspot is concerned.

Reactions: MrMiyagi1

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
thanks for the replies all. I was initially looking at this device:

Belkin Ethernet + Power Adapter with Lightning Connector.​

However I since found out what I want to do would not be possible with this device. I will stick to using the personal hotspot on Wi-Fi with my laptop and my iPhone. Thanks though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.