Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I wanted to "ignore" a user who posted a truly horrible comment on the forums today. But when I clicked on their username, I was shown a screen that says "This member limits who may view their full profile."

There was no button to "ignore" the user.

Is there another way I can "ignore" the user so I don't see any more of their posts when I'm browsing the forums?

Reactions: AngerDanger

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
All you should have to do is click on their ‘avatar icon’ of the member that you want to ignore, and it will give you the option of ignoring them with three choices of ‘follow’, ‘Ignore’ and ‘start conversation.’

What I suspect you’re doing, is you’re clicking on the ‘actual’ user name, which then reverts you to their profile, which it will indicate that message they are private. Just click on their ‘avatar icon’, and that should be all you need to do to invoke the ‘ignore’ tab.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
All you should have to do is click on their ‘avatar icon’ of the member that you want to ignore, and it will give you the option of ignoring them with three choices of ‘follow’, ‘Ignore’ and ‘start conversation.’

What I suspect you’re doing, is you’re clicking on the ‘actual’ user name, which then reverts you to their profile, which it will indicate that message they are private. Just click on their ‘avatar icon’, and that should be all you need to do to invoke the ‘ignore’ tab.
Thank you! And yes, you are correct. I was clicking on the actual user name rather than the avatar.

I really appreciate your assistance. :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have a related question, figured I'd just piggyback on this thread: if someone has you on ignore, can you still send them a PM/DM (aka, start a conversation)? Or is that an automatic setting? __or__ is that something with discrete control (so technically I could ignore a user, but still allow for a conversation request from them)?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
you want to start a conversation with an ignored user?

I'm not sure what happens then.

related: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/ignored-users-can-continue-conversation.66701/

Oh yeah, that actually answers my question (even if the answer is an odd design choice).

Just to clarify (if it ever comes up again), User A ignores User B, what happens if User B attempts a conversation with User A - apparently it works from the perspective of User B (i.e. they're not prevented some starting the conversation), but User A never sees the conversation. And at least according to the link, if User A was already in a conversation with User B, ignores User B, User A continues to see the conservation (messages from User B), and has to manually leave the conversation.

FWIW, it wasn't (using the above example), A trying to message B after ignoring B, not sure what happens with that (based on that link, I'd almost guess it opens a conversation like normal).

Anyway, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.