Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Earlier this year, I had a live WordPress lifestyle site that wasn't generating much traffic. My wife became a certified life coach, so we decided to change the site to focus on her new business. I used the WordPress Export tool to export the old site as an XML backup file. I installed MAMP on my MBP, set up a local WordPress site, and imported the lifestyle site using the WordPress Import tool. Once I had my wife's live site configured, I exported it as a backup and imported it to my local site so that my local site had all the old content and all the new content. The idea was that I could experiment with different things and apply the "keepers" to the live site. I also plan to use the blog posts on a future website of my own

A couple weeks ago, my MBP started acting flaky. Since I keep my data files in the cloud and on an external drive, I decided to do a clean installation of Mojave and of my apps. Since my local MAMP site was on the MBP's system drive, I first exported it using the method that had worked twice previously. Unfortunately, when I created a new MAMP WordPress Installation and imported my backed-up site, none of my images would import. The installer gave a "failed" message for each image it tried to import. I don't understand what went wrong. All the text for the blog posts and pages imported. I have all the original images saved elsewhere, but it would take hours to add them back to where they need to go.

I also have a backup of the entire folder structure of the site I exported. I tried renaming the folder to that of my newly created MAMP WordPress site. As I expected, it didn't work, because the mySQL database doesn't match. Is there a way to use that folder structure, or am I just out of luck?

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Look for the Duplicator plugin. It does all that stuff for you if you're not confident messing around with the database URL strings.

I’ve used this plugin, but only to duplicate content that is already in my WordPress site. How can I use it to import content from a previously backed-up WordPress folder structure that doesn’t have the associated MySQL database file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.