Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Hello. Just wanted to ask this here before I really start trying this. Actually I already tried Virtualbox but ran into some problems (initramfs unpacking failed, kernel panic not syncing no working init found) I wondered if Parallels Desktop might work better or do those error messages already mean that it's not worth it? (There is no free trial on older Parallels which 10.6.8 needs, otherwise I would try it).

So this is my iMac: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.0-17-inch-specs.html

It has 2GB RAM though instead of 1. 160 GB HDD.

I just would like to be to use some newer browsers that 10.6.8. doesn't support.

Does this sound like a hopeless project?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I think there are threads here on getting a working browser in 10.6.8.

You should be able to install Linux directly on the machine and get up-to-date browsing that way. There should be a lot on info on that if you search for "2006 imac linux" on the web.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Ive the same iMac - a 5,1 with 2 gb of ram.
I recently installed unsupported mavericks osx 10.9 on it and you can install a current firefox.
(though Mavericks is slow at times..I think we really need more than 2 gb of ram.)

Wicknix has done work in here re using linux :

and a browser:

..so youve got a few options to try.

Reactions: Johnny1068

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Ive the same iMac - a 5,1 with 2 gb of ram.
I recently installed unsupported mavericks osx 10.9 on it and you can install a current firefox.
(though Mavericks is slow at times..I think we really need more than 2 gb of ram.)
How did you do this? o_O

Thanks, I will take a look at those links. I tried installing linux with VirtualBox some time ago but it always crashed and I lost interest.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Do wot ?
install Mavericks?

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Thanks.. how is that different from MacPostFactor? And is 8GB partition really big enough? I'm running out of space here... I should get a 20GB USB to do this.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I think I tried macpostfactor initially but couldn’t get it to work. May have simply failed to follow the instructions or something.
ive got snow leopard installed on an external SSD drive and it feels very fast.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Trying this now with an USB but because I have zero Terminal experience or the last time i have used such things is in 1994 or so, i don't know how to do this... :oops:

(MacPostFactor doesn't work, it gives some strange adfly error and asks to skip ad even though there are no ads...)

So in which folder should I put the Mavericks.app and how to put that in the command line? There should be better instructions on that site for people who know nothing about this stuff..

So does this mean that I should replace the "path" with the path where the app is?

Run: ./oipatch.sh /path/to/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app /Volumes/USBOrPartitionNameHere

TIA if anyone can spare a few minutes to give some instructions...

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
You’ve run into the same issues I had with macpost.. that’s why I used nextpost.. not sure if that’s wot you used.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
I found a nice tutorial video (by some young boy or girl?) here for the NexPost, even I understood how to do it.

Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
excellent solution, Johnny...be good to add a positive comment on their youtube..to let them know you appreciate their efforts.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
I finally wanted to actually try to install 10.9 to this old imac... but the problem is, I can't get to the startup manager no matter how I press the option key and have tried some other tricks but no luck. Strangely I was once able to do it when I just tried if the installer works - but now I can't get there.

Any (safe) ideas how to get there? Would Refind be safe to try?

Thanks

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
I was finally able to install 10.9 to the 2006 iMac.. But now the problem is that it doesn't detect the external display! I found the detect display button but it doesn't do anything. The original iMac display is trash so if I can't get the external display to work, this whole thing is useless. Do you use external display Mortlocli?

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I was finally able to install 10.9 to the 2006 iMac.. But now the problem is that it doesn't detect the external display! I found the detect display button but it doesn't do anything. The original iMac display is trash so if I can't get the external display to work, this whole thing is useless. Do you use external display Mortlocli?
Oops - sorry johnny..I obviously missed this question (of two years back - geez!!).
But no ..didnt have an external display..and still don't.

Hope you found a solution?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.