Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

writevli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
With so many OS options (iOS, macOS Mojave day/night), the interface of Contacts changes. Being a graphic designer and photographer, I like keeping consistency. Ideally I would like to post a png portrait of my friends and their background would change based on the UI. However, I've tried on High Sierra and the background is white by default.
One user managed to do this: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/8uy23w/iphone_x_users_use_memoji_as_contact_photos/
Do you have other alternatives for a more aesthetic UI on macOS/iOS Messages & Contacts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.42.41.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.42.41.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 167

aaronraimist

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2017
What do you mean by the background would change? You want to have two photos for each contact, one of them taken on a light background and one taken on a dark background?

When you say you tried on High Sierra, what does that mean? High Sierra doesn't have a dark mode.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
your own examples show (as do mine, and, i imagine, most peoples)... various backgrounds, not simply a white wall. so what needs to change exactly? aren't all your pictures in circles, with their own distinctive backgrounds?

Reactions: aaronraimist

writevli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
What do you mean by the background would change? You want to have two photos for each contact, one of them taken on a light background and one taken on a dark background?

When you say you tried on High Sierra, what does that mean? High Sierra doesn't have a dark mode.

At the moment, I've changed everyone into a memoji and they are on a white background by default, although it's normally a png. HS doesn't have a dark mode, but Messages is a bit greyish. iOS messages are white. And Mojave's are dark.
I just would like to find a solution to have them seamlessly merge with every background.

aaronraimist

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2017
You want transparent photos to work properly in contacts. Yeah that would be nice. I filed radar 45453269 for that issue. You can also ask Apple for that feature. bugreport.apple.com is the easiest way to let Apple know you want a feature.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
At the moment, I've changed everyone into a memoji and they are on a white background by default, although it's normally a png. HS doesn't have a dark mode, but Messages is a bit greyish. iOS messages are white. And Mojave's are dark.
I just would like to find a solution to have them seamlessly merge with every background.

with an app like affinity photo (or photoshop) for example, you could dupe all the pics and change the backgrounds only. seems like a lot of work, but... might be worth it. are you using dark mode only? or both??

writevli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
with an app like affinity photo (or photoshop) for example, you could dupe all the pics and change the backgrounds only. seems like a lot of work, but... might be worth it. are you using dark mode only? or both??

I don't use Mojave at the moment. But I'm a graphic designer, and I've already tried changing all the backgrounds. But it's the same picture for all apps. So Messages on macOS HS & iOS will use the same white background or dark. You can't have them singular per app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.