Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
i was installing an Otterbox symmetry case and it took a bit more effort to push the corners in than I’m used to. I think maybe the rubber on this version is stiffer. Anyway, is it possible to damage the display by pressing too hard on it?

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
i was installing an Otterbox symmetry case and it took a bit more effort to push the corners in than I’m used to. I think maybe the rubber on this version is stiffer. Anyway, is it possible to damage the display by pressing too hard on it?
Highly doubtful that you would harm the screen.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I put the same case on a family member's 8+ and it was quite difficult. But if you pressed too hard you'd know because the phone would be broken.

Reactions: internetrando

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California

I had a similar experience with that case, except I decided not to keep pushing. Since it was so hard to get the phone in, I thought it might be ridiculously hard to get the phone out. I opted for another case.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I put the same case on a family member's 8+ and it was quite difficult. But if you pressed too hard you'd know because the phone would be broken.

My concern was that the display or capacitive sensors might become damaged

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
My concern was that the display or capacitive sensors might become damaged

I wouldn't worry. I had to use a lot of force and the iPhone is still working several weeks later.

I limited my pressing to the edges (or as close as I could get).

Arei

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
Texas
The otterbox I had on my 6s Plus was the same way, it was very hard to get on and off... I think you’ve got to have hulk strength to break the screen putting on a case though.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
If your glass isn’t broken, or your phone isn’t bent, then you’re fine.

You know you pushed too hard if one of those two things happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.