Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I am about to install an SSD into my Macbook Pro 2012 non retina, and in terms of the hardware side I think I know what I'm doing. However I'm not sure what to do after the disk is installed. What I initially planned on doing was installing the drive and then holding "command" + "r" to access recovery menu, and then from there formatting/reinstalling MacOS and I see no reason as to why that wouldn't work. But I have been watching some tutorials on youtube and most people seem to boot from some sort of physical media with MacOS loaded onto it and I'm wondering why. I'm just looking for a confirmation as to what will and will not work.

Edit: I would also like to know if there's anything I need to do with the SSD before installing it (initialization?) or can I just install the disk, format it, and be all set?

Thanks once again!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, you can install macOS using internet recovery. People often use USB drives with installer simply because its faster (then again, if your internet is fast enough, there is no practical difference).

Reactions: The Clark

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Modernape has it absolutely right in post 3 above.

"Prep and test" the new SSD BEFORE you install it, using an external USB3 enclosure (or a USB3/SATA dock, or a USB3/SATA adapter/dongle).

WHY do it this way?
Because if you run into problems -- any kind of problem at all -- you STILL HAVE A WORKING MACBOOK. Makes it easer to diagnose and solve problems.

As Modernape said, you can use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to "clone over" the contents of the internal drive to the SSD. This assumes that you're "satisfied with your setup" as it is.

If you want to install a completely "clean and fresh" version of the OS, that's easily done as well. Then use setup assistant to "migrate over" your apps, accounts, settings and data from the HDD to the SSD.

Once this is done, TEST BOOT the SSD while it's still in the enclosure. If you get a good boot, take a good look around to be sure things are as you want them.

Once all this is done, NOW it's time to open the MacBook and do the drive swap.

Again, things just go better when you do it this way...

Reactions: The Clark

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
Yes, you can install macOS using internet recovery. People often use USB drives with installer simply because its faster (then again, if your internet is fast enough, there is no practical difference).

Okay thanks for the clarification.
[doublepost=1512332427][/doublepost]
Modernape has it absolutely right in post 3 above.

"Prep and test" the new SSD BEFORE you install it, using an external USB3 enclosure (or a USB3/SATA dock, or a USB3/SATA adapter/dongle).

WHY do it this way?
Because if you run into problems -- any kind of problem at all -- you STILL HAVE A WORKING MACBOOK. Makes it easer to diagnose and solve problems.

As Modernape said, you can use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to "clone over" the contents of the internal drive to the SSD. This assumes that you're "satisfied with your setup" as it is.

If you want to install a completely "clean and fresh" version of the OS, that's easily done as well. Then use setup assistant to "migrate over" your apps, accounts, settings and data from the HDD to the SSD.

Once this is done, TEST BOOT the SSD while it's still in the enclosure. If you get a good boot, take a good look around to be sure things are as you want them.

Once all this is done, NOW it's time to open the MacBook and do the drive swap.

Again, things just go better when you do it this way...

I do have an enclosure lying around that I can test with so I'll do that. By test, do you just mean plugging in and confirming that the drive shows up?

4ik

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2003
Okay thanks for the clarification.
[doublepost=1512332427][/doublepost]

just want to share that internet recovery didn't work for me on my old iMac 2009 (maybe it doesn't work on older machines?). I had error code stating that "The system is busy try again later", or similar wording....I even tried connecting directly through ethernet cable with no luck - thats how I actually found out about flash drive option -so take that into consideration.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada

Hi, I ended up using internet recovery to install the OS and it worked out fine for me so perhaps it's an issue with the older Mac's.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.