Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batemanj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Hi,

In order to restrict kids to access only study-related sites (temporarily), I would like to have control on apps on their IPADs to have WIFI access or not. I would like to set WIFI access only to few apps so that I can restrict games/youtube not to have WIFI.

Is there any app (I'm fine with paid apps) /IOS options to set this? OR any advises please...

Thanks

djvidi

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
One possible way would be to utilise the downtime option in ios12 but also use the Always Allowed option to allow those apps that are study related. Once study has been done the kid could then request additional screen time per app.

I agree it’s not the best solution and would be interested to know other suggestions as well that I might end up using myself

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Hi,

In order to restrict kids to access only study-related sites (temporarily), I would like to have control on apps on their IPADs to have WIFI access or not. I would like to set WIFI access only to few apps so that I can restrict games/youtube not to have WIFI.

Is there any app (I'm fine with paid apps) /IOS options to set this? OR any advises please...

Thanks

Better to use a policy on the router you have, many have parental control/schedule type functions ideal for this.

batemanj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Better to use a policy on the router you have, many have parental control/schedule type functions ideal for this.

How can policies on router will help? My son's IPAD has youtube, so many games (ex. Fortnite) and study-app. Now I want him to use "only" study-app for certain time. All of the above need Wifi so I can't disable it. If I use parental controls, it restricts only few videos on youtube but I need it to be blocked entirely but allowing only study-app with wifi.

Thanks

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
How can policies on router will help? My son's IPAD has youtube, so many games (ex. Fortnite) and study-app. Now I want him to use "only" study-app for certain time. All of the above need Wifi so I can't disable it. If I use parental controls, it restricts only few videos on youtube but I need it to be blocked entirely but allowing only study-app with wifi.

Thanks

Depends on the "study app", you can block any ports/servers not used by the study app.

TBH though it may be better to have a conversation, after all just because the study app is the only one that will work, it doesn't mean he will use it.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
You could use screen time. But using it as an on off thing would get annoying. You’d have to set up limits either for how long or at what time things will be allowed

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The only way to limit a kid from playing around on the internet during study is to have two separate devices. One for study with limited apps installed (no YouTube etc) and locked down with restrictions, and one regular play device. There's no setting in iOS that can toggle off network connectivity app by app.

Giving a kid an iPad in his/her room to do homework unsupervised/unrestricted is asking too much. The temptation is too great to play on the device instead of doing horrible homework.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Screentime would work, but it would be annoying unless the "study" times are consistent. Parental controls in a router might work but probably not if everything is just going over HTTPS (port 443).

A good solution is a proxy server, where the only way out to the Internet from your home network is through a dedicated computer filtering all the content. This is what companies do and it works well (nothing is perfect) but it's a lot of work to manage, especially in a home environment.

The best solution I've found for this situation is to simply have children use the devices in common rooms (living room, kitchen, etc.) so there's a bit of supervision (not in the sense of standing over the child the whole time, but in the sense that at any moment anyone could walk by and see what he or she is doing).

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Easier way for us is to have 2 router. One for all access, one has site restriction. Set up the wifi restriction on the router that all your kids’ iPad is connected. That way they can only access certain site. Basically if you block youtube’s website, the Youtube app will not work too.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi,

Thanks
So many heavy handed ways for compliance.
#1 is to install Classroom app on your iPad or Mac. With this simple tool you can live view the iPad display at all times.
#2 lock your student's iPad to the app you want them to study with. When the time has expired, they can bring the device to you so that you can unlock it. This approach will ensure your student sets the iPad aside for the alloted time and does nothing.

Hints: When using the Classroom app do not catch them the moment they begin navigating to 4x4 crash lands app, or zombie slayer 5. Watch and learn. Then ask questions later to catch them in the lie. Punish accordingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.