Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I'd like a new website. I used to use iWeb which was great as I could easily update it, but it was immediately recognisable as an iWeb site.

So then I went to a web developer, but the site is a bit dull and I don't think he's that good.

When browsing sites I like, is there an easy way to find out who made the site if there's no obvious credit? Is it possible to know if it's an iWeb, Wordpress etc. site?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Yes, there are a few websites that will do exactly what you ask.

Sadly, even though I used one of them just a day or two ago, I can't find it in my history (or memory), but at least you know they do exist.

If I recall the site, I'll post with an update.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I'd like a new website. I used to use iWeb which was great as I could easily update it, but it was immediately recognisable as an iWeb site.

So then I went to a web developer, but the site is a bit dull and I don't think he's that good.

If you are serious about a nice site, use SquareSpace.

John Gruber (Daring Fireball) had this link and promo code "jg" for 10% off:

http://squarespace.com/thetalkshow

-t

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
If you are serious about a nice site, use SquareSpace.

John Gruber (Daring Fireball) had this link and promo code "jg" for 10% off:

http://squarespace.com/thetalkshow

-t

Excellent link - thanks.

Do you think this is the best way to go? Pre-made templates? Or do you think employing a web developer to build me a bespoke site is better?

Also, I'm in the UK. Wonder if that makes a difference.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
When browsing sites I like, is there an easy way to find out who made the site if there's no obvious credit? Is it possible to know if it's an iWeb, Wordpress etc. site?

You can go into developer tool or just look at the source.
sometimes in the head there is a generator tag, or you can see it on file structure or in the css file (at the top)

usually web pages contain traces of the original designer in one way or another.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Excellent link - thanks.

Do you think this is the best way to go? Pre-made templates? Or do you think employing a web developer to build me a bespoke site is better?

Also, I'm in the UK. Wonder if that makes a difference.

The templates fom Suqrespace a very nicely done and visually appealing.
In addition, you can do a lot of customizations.

Unless you can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a custom website, using Squarespace to build the basic site first, and then having a web designer tweak it is the more cost efficient route to go.

-t

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
The templates fom Suqrespace a very nicely done and visually appealing.
In addition, you can do a lot of customizations.

Unless you can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a custom website, using Squarespace to build the basic site first, and then having a web designer tweak it is the more cost efficient route to go.

-t

Another excellent idea - thanks for your input.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
A few things to try to find a web developer and/or designer for a web project:

1) Check the footer of the webpage

2) Check the "About Us" page

3) Email the "webmaster@example.com" account and ask

4) Check the source code for the website and look for any comments or meta tags that may mention the developer

5) Try loading the following in your web browser: "http://example.com/humans.txt"

Obviously, replace the example.com above with the site you are interested in.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

I found the website I was referring to earlier:

http://www.builtwith.com

Note: It will show you EVERYTHING that's used, so even for simple websites the list may be long.

I checked my website, BuiltWith was accurate.

HoustonN

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
if you want to see if someone's using wordpress, just hit CTRL U (or hit view source) and search for the exact query in the quotation marks: "wp-" make sure you include the dash. If you see lots of stuff like wp-content, wp-includes, it's definitely a wordpress site.

If there's a site you really like that doesn't give credit, just see if you can ask the webmaster. If it's a huge company, chances are they have their own development staff, but for smaller companies an independent development team usually exist

cudest

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
canada
To see who made a web site

Just go through the whois lookup domain and check every detail of particular website.its easy even you can see where is the server of that web site and where is originally hosting of web site.That means each and every thing is transparent.each and every detail is going to see.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
To see who made a web site

Just go through the whois lookup domain and check every detail of particular website.its easy even you can see where is the server of that web site and where is originally hosting of web site.That means each and every thing is transparent.each and every detail is going to see.

That's not correct.

Whois information will tell you who owns the domain name. Not who made it.

Plus server information can often be ambiguous and doesn't always suggest where and who is hosting the website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.