Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Is it possible to share only one or two services of my Apple One subscription with my family?
(for example: share News+, but not change or affect their music library in any way.)

this is a real question.

please help!

brewc99

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
Canada
There is no way to individually select the different services that are included with Apple One. that said, as long as each individual is signed in on their own apple account, then you are not really "sharing" anything by default. Ya you are sharing the icloud storage, but not each other's data. Their music library should not be affected

Reactions: compwiz1202

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Ok. I thought by “sharing” they would have to let go of their current music library, and switch over to an Apple Music library, which starts out blank, and would have to be rebuilt from scratch to look like their current library before starting Apple Music.

So basically I share my whole Apple One subscription with my family, but then they just ignore everything but News+/whatever else they’re interested in.

Correct?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Family Sharing can be thought of this way: You are sharing ACCESS to the SERVICES, not your account/data itself. They get their own version of everything and they don't co-mingle with yours.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Yes, I understand that, thank you.
I know it’s not sharing my data with them. That wasn’t my question.

my own experience of switching from an iTunes Library to the Apple Music service showed me that I had to start all over again with a new blank empty library, and had to go find and download all of the music I wanted (and previously had) from Apple Music to rebuild from scratch what I had before.

I’m trying to avoid that happening to my family members.

So, if I can only grant access to ALL of the Apple One services instead of just one of them, and they do choose to accept access to ALL of them in order to use News+, does that force them to accept Apple Music access, and thereby removing all their existing music from their current library, forcing them to start all over again from scratch with a blank empty library, and making them rebuild their Library.

I can’t let this happen to them.

I appreciate your help!

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Yes, thank you.

that is for songs purchased from iTunes, not decades of CDs that were purchased elsewhere and imported into iTunes. All of those CDs will be removed from the library if they accept access to Apple Music service.

That is what I’m afraid of.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Apple Music shouldn't "remove" anything. My wife has thousands upon thousands of music files in her library, almost all of which are NOT purchased via the iTunes Store. When she subscribed to Apple Music, she lost nothing. And to our knowledge, no music has been "substituted" with Apple's own version of the song from their store.

That being said, I've read tons of stories about people losing songs and even their entire library. I'm not sure what they're doing... perhaps they're using iTunes Match instead of just Apple Music.

Whatever the case, make a backup of the entire Music folder from their computer and you should be covered in case disaster strikes.

Reactions: brewc99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.