Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
It seems that it's possible to run x86-64 apps in Docker on M1 platforms, but this is using under the hood qemu. qemu seems to be slow. Anyone knows if in theory or practice is possible to run x86 apps in Docker but instead of using qemu, use Parallels?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
It seems that it's possible to run x86-64 apps in Docker on M1 platforms, but this is using under the hood qemu. qemu seems to be slow. Anyone knows if in theory or practice is possible to run x86 apps in Docker but instead of using qemu, use Parallels?
That's a definite no, Parallels only virtualizes the M1 (ARM), it doesn't emulate x86 like QEMU can, and yes, emulation is going to be slow.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
That's a definite no, Parallels only virtualizes the M1 (ARM), it doesn't emulate x86 like QEMU can, and yes, emulation is going to be slow.
That said, you may be able to run docker in Windows on Arm, inside a Parallels VM. I don't know if it will work or not, but it might be worth a try.

Reactions: excelsior.ink

kinghuang

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
It seems to me the real issue is you're not running ARM containers. Virtualizing x86 in other ways isn't going to speed up your non-native containers.

Reactions: excelsior.ink

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
I am trying to run an Oracle Database in a Docker container on M1. It seems it is possible using lima/colima (which I never used yet):
lima will basically use qemu. I know qemu is very slow, Parallels is fast. This is what I'm trying to do.

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
Never-mind, I just learnt that Parallels is basically a Russian company and I'll stop using their products.
Case closed

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
It's a company founded by Russians:
it has offices in USA, indeed, and other countries, but the majority of the team is Russian.
I should have known, I don't like how they are pushing the Parallels Toolbox, it's basically spam.
Anyway, it's not the subject of this thread.

Reactions: appltech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.