Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
maybe this is a dumb question, because i dont know the internals of this machine, but basically it is known that the code platform that the software of this device is too small and has no accessable exploits. So this made me wonder could something be swapped to make this work?(to basically create an exploit, or would the software need reprogramming to even except different hardware or w/e) i have an atv3 and looked for the atv 2s that are for some reason more expensive(probably for the jailbreaks) i didnt want to spend another 250+ to get something practically like what i have. reason i am asking is because with the iphone 4 you cannot airplay video and i gave my ipad 3 or 4(not sure) to my mom

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes, they thing you need to switch in an Apple TV is the logicboard. Once that is switched with one from an Apple TV 2, you'll be able to jailbreak it. The iPhone 4 is can Airplay videos to an Apple TV. It cannot do Airplay Mirroring.

mac350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
so this has been done and there is no problems? logic boards in ipods were just connected by a cable i believe? same in this?

Yes, they thing you need to switch in an Apple TV is the logicboard. Once that is switched with one from an Apple TV 2, you'll be able to jailbreak it. The iPhone 4 is can Airplay videos to an Apple TV. It cannot do Airplay Mirroring.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Just buy an Apple TV 2 and save yourself the trouble of finding an Apple TV 2 logicboard and hoping they fit in the Apple TV body.

mac350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
$250 for a non jailbroke apple tv 2 is not worth the money at all. thats used and possibly cant even be jailbroke. its not worth the risk or quality.
Just buy an Apple TV 2 and save yourself the trouble of finding an Apple TV 2 logicboard and hoping they fit in the Apple TV body.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.