Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2023
Is it possible to transfer apps from Intel Mac to a Silicon Mac with Migration Assistant? I'm interested especially in MS Word for Mac and Excel apps. These are LTSC 2021 apps. Have anyone done that?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Generally speaking migration assistant can migrate apps just fine between the two architectures. Moving over the app bundles works fine and they will just run under Rosetta if they aren’t universal binaries. It’s recommended to redownload where available as you may transfer over x86 only applications where native versions exist that will perform better and more efficiently but transferring over generally works.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2023
Generally speaking migration assistant can migrate apps just fine between the two architectures. Moving over the app bundles works fine and they will just run under Rosetta if they aren’t universal binaries. It’s recommended to redownload where available as you may transfer over x86 only applications where native versions exist that will perform better and more efficiently but transferring over generally works.
Thanks. If I'd ever buy a M chip MacBook, I would need only those two apps transferred to it. I checked in the Windows site, which states that you have to uninstall the 2021 Office apps and download it to the new device. Only, don't know if MS would keep their word on that. Thanks anyway.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you! 👍👌
Removing the license from the Mac doesn’t actually deactivate it, and for the non-subscription licenses on Mac, Microsoft doesn’t actually provide a way to deactivate the old license. As such, if you are using the volume license LTSC license installer you can just install that again on the new computer and your apps are licensed to run.
For individually licensed subscription apps you might have to call Microsoft to get the new installation activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.