Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongXP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
I'm running a MacbookPro9,2 with a hard drive instead of the CD reader. I have been trying to get Windows 10 to work for quite a while as I need it for work now:/. Running the softwares in a VM works fine though I'd much prefer it if it were running natively.

I tried a lot of methods, newest one being using OCLP to UEFI install Windows but that also failed ("We couldn't create a new partition....") (Bootcamp also doesn't go past the downloading support software page so that option is out of the windows.... see what I did there?)

That got me thinking. If I wipe my hard drive (Backing it up first of course). Then install an older version of macOS, could I then install Windows 7 and update to Windows 10 from there? I obviously want to make it a Windows partition of about 100 gig because I still need the hard drive, though I'm not sure how to do that. Does anyone know if something like this will work (and maybe a guide on doing so?). Or an alternative method that reliably work on this thing? I'm a bit stuck and don't really want to use a VM for the rest of my life nor throw a perfectly usuable and reliable hardware away.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
I'm running a MacbookPro9,2 with a hard drive instead of the CD reader. I have been trying to get Windows 10 to work for quite a while as I need it for work now:/. Running the softwares in a VM works fine though I'd much prefer it if it were running natively.

I tried a lot of methods, newest one being using OCLP to UEFI install Windows but that also failed ("We couldn't create a new partition....") (Bootcamp also doesn't go past the downloading support software page so that option is out of the windows.... see what I did there?)

That got me thinking. If I wipe my hard drive (Backing it up first of course). Then install an older version of macOS, could I then install Windows 7 and update to Windows 10 from there? I obviously want to make it a Windows partition of about 100 gig because I still need the hard drive, though I'm not sure how to do that. Does anyone know if something like this will work (and maybe a guide on doing so?). Or an alternative method that reliably work on this thing? I'm a bit stuck and don't really want to use a VM for the rest of my life nor throw a perfectly usuable and reliable hardware away.
I have read that this does work. Throw Boot Camp asistant out the window and just make a FAT32 partition with Disk Utility. Install Windows 7 and upgrade from there. You might need to seek out the drivers for WIndows 10 or maybe it will all just work OTB. It really sucks you have to downgrade to an unsupported Windows version for work, but it should work in the end.

LongXP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
I have read that this does work. Throw Boot Camp asistant out the window and just make a FAT32 partition with Disk Utility. Install Windows 7 and upgrade from there. You might need to seek out the drivers for WIndows 10 or maybe it will all just work OTB. It really sucks you have to downgrade to an unsupported Windows version for work, but it should work in the end.
Yeah I have the drivers for Legacy BIOS Windows 10 for this mac already. Though I'm not sure of a step-by-step way to do this yet but I think I will try. It really sucks that this is the only way for me to install Legacy BIOS Windows 10 since I removed the CD reader (and bootcamp not cooperating). Man if this doesn't work, I'll just give up and keep VM'ing softwares instead.

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Yeah I have the drivers for Legacy BIOS Windows 10 for this mac already. Though I'm not sure of a step-by-step way to do this yet but I think I will try. It really sucks that this is the only way for me to install Legacy BIOS Windows 10 since I removed the CD reader (and bootcamp not cooperating). Man if this doesn't work, I'll just give up and keep VM'ing softwares instead.
Wait, have you tried buying a USB DVD drive and holding down the C key?

LongXP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
Wait, have you tried buying a USB DVD drive and holding down the C key?

Huh, actually not. Though, I don't have any Windows 10 or 7 disks (or any disks in my home for that matter) so that option is still out sadly

priya1014

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2022
Yes, Boot Camp support software updates, which are provided through both Windows Update and the Apple Software Update app in Windows. Although these apps periodically check for updates automatically, you can check for updates manually at any time.

LongXP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
Yes, Boot Camp support software updates, which are provided through both Windows Update and the Apple Software Update app in Windows. Although these apps periodically check for updates automatically, you can check for updates manually at any time.
Ah sorry, should've phrase my question better. I was asking if updating from a bootcamp Windows 7 installation to Windows 10 directly is possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.