Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EddieGames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
Laconia, NH
My mom might be giving me her iPhone 5s. But I know you can’t install iOS 13 on it. Is there any loophole or whatever to install these newer versions on older devices?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My mom might be giving me her iPhone 5s. But I know you can’t install iOS 13 on it. Is there any loophole or whatever to install these newer versions on older devices?
You can install whatever the latest version of iOS is available for that device. In case of iPhone 5s that would likely be iOS 12.4.3 at this point.

EddieGames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
Laconia, NH
You can install whatever the latest version of iOS is available for that device. In case of iPhone 5s that would likely be iOS 12.4.3 at this point.
Yes, I know, but is there any other way to update to even newer versions, like iOS 13? Like do I have to download a version of iOS 13 for newer phones and install it on the phone through iTunes, or?

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I mean the phone is past support so other than circumventing the controls Apple has in place you’re stuck with iOS 12 or getting a newer phone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The short answer is there is no solutions. You May consider getting an iPhone SE for your mom, which looks identical and function similarly. But with A9 Chip, you can run iOS 13 or maybe even iOS 14.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Don’t think it’s an option without jail breaking the phone.
There's lots that jailbreaking can do, but this isn't one of those things. No version earlier than what the device was released with and no version later than what Apple cuts it off at.

No way around it.
[automerge]1573254120[/automerge]
Well that stinks. I wanted to get the new features of iOS 13 on there. If there’s any solutions, please let me know.
Some newer features are dependent on newer hardware. Even if you could get it installed (and you can't) you could be missing what iOS needs for those new features to work.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Well that stinks. I wanted to get the new features of iOS 13 on there. If there’s any solutions, please let me know.
Does not stink Apple have provided how many years of updates for that phone? Come on now how many years support would you like ten years.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Not possible to install the latest update on a six year old device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.