Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I have always backed up and updated my iPhone using iTunes.

With the recent security issues it seems like it's time to finally update to iOS 16 (I'm still using iOS 15 at the moment...). The problem is that the computer I usually sync with (which still uses iTunes) is not available to me right now.

Is it possible to use a different Mac with the newest version of Ventura to update my iPhone without loosing all the sync items?

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Have you tried to use Apple Configurator 2 on the other Mac?

You should be able to right-click on the phone and choose Update in the main interface. I have used this to upgrade my own workphone and a different persons work phone without any issues.

Please note that it will be reqired to allow the Mac to access all the data on your iPhone. No sync or backup required. I would still strongly recommend that your device is synchronized and backed up before upgrading, so you have a way to restore if the update process fails.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Have you tried to use Apple Configurator 2 on the other Mac?

You should be able to right-click on the phone and choose Update in the main interface. I have used this to upgrade my own workphone and a different persons work phone without any issues.

Please note that it will be reqired to allow the Mac to access all the data on your iPhone. No sync or backup required. I would still strongly recommend that your device is synchronized and backed up before upgrading, so you have a way to restore if the update process fails.
Thanks, I didn't even know about Apple Configurator!

By now, I have done an over-the-air update on the iPhone itself after a simple backup to the new computer. Seems to have worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.