Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Hi there!

I know that question has been asked numerous times on the internet, but it actually hasn't been answered fully. So I hope you can help me with this:

I'm thinking about turning on Family Sharing on my iOS devices so I can share videos, music and apps with my wife. Also we could share an Apple Music (Family) account then.
However, my wife also wants to buy things on her own (be it only so I don't see what apps she bought :D).

My question is: Is it possible to use Family Sharing but for the members to still buy things on their own cards/accounts?
Some people claim this is possible while there are still gift cards active for the person, but can anyone confirm this? Or have a solution?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Best regards,
VSG

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Hi there!

I know that question has been asked numerous times on the internet, but it actually hasn't been answered fully. So I hope you can help me with this:

I'm thinking about turning on Family Sharing on my iOS devices so I can share videos, music and apps with my wife. Also we could share an Apple Music (Family) account then.
However, my wife also wants to buy things on her own (be it only so I don't see what apps she bought :D).

My question is: Is it possible to use Family Sharing but for the members to still buy things on their own cards/accounts?
Some people claim this is possible while there are still gift cards active for the person, but can anyone confirm this? Or have a solution?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Best regards,
VSG

Also looking for an answer for this, have you found one?

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Also looking for an answer for this, have you found one?

Hi!

Unfortunately not yet, but I'll be testing this at the beginning of August, I'll check back then and report what I've found.

Best regards,
VSG

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I investigated this a while ago because it would suit my family. It wasn't possible then so unless something has changed...

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Hi, there!

Testing took more time than I thought, but here it goes:
I activated Family Sharing and it actually works like I thought I would. While I am the organizer and my credit card would be charged, as long as my wife has still has a gift card active her gift card will be charged instead. However I still get the e-mail notification regarding her purchase.

I hope Apple keeps it this way. It makes a lot more sense than having all purchases be routed through the organizers wallet.

Hope this helps some who were still wondering.
Best regards,
VSG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.