Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_danka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Does someone know if it’s possible to use dual-SIM on my iPhone (11 pro) in such a way that the phone will use the primary SIM and the watch will use the second, eSIM, without the iPhone being connected to two networks all the time?

Context: my cellular plan is given to me by my employer. They pay for everything, including personal calls and lots of data, and so I’d like to stay with them. The carrier (Vodafone UK), however, doesn’t support Apple Watch on business plans.

I could use dual SIM on my phone with a separate personal plan that would be shared with my watch, but I don’t need my phone to use the other plan for anything, and I hate the idea of it being connected to two networks and draining the battery when all I need is the watch to be connected to the second network.

Question: Is it possible to turn off the other SIM on my phone after sharing it with my watch? E.g., can the iPhone be on airplane mode on the second network 100% of the time whilst the watch uses it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

the_danka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Thanks, but family setup watches don’t have access to certain features when set up without a phone.
I’d like it to still be under my account

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Then the answer to your original question is no. You can't accomplish what is baslicly having your watch have it's own LTE while still paired to your iPhone without a second cellular plan active.

Dave

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.