Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I'm planning on purchasing the Mac mini, but I never realized how large this square machine actually is even though it's very flat and short. It's 20 x 20 cm, meaning it's long and wider than the foot of my Studio Display. It's gonna look very large on my small desk. I've seen these pictures and videos of people buying a stand and then placing the Mini tilted / on the edge and using it like that. Is it safe to have it like that 24/7 for years? It could be a good alternative for me, cause then I can position it right behind the Studio Display and not taking up more space on my desk.

51L5cloelCL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

pocitac-mac-mini-unsplash-1280x853.jpg

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Is it safe to have it like that 24/7 for years?

If I were in your position, I would first search the Apple Support website and see if Apple has anything official to say about how Mac Minis are oriented. Something that might put me off, personally, from a vertical orientation is that heat rises and the vents might be more effective when they are spread out horizontally.

Having said that, the Apple Store does offer this non-Apple manufactured stand:

----------
ETA: I just noticed the stand sold in the Apple Store maintains a horizontal orientation of the heat vents.

Last edited:

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
I see you now use an Air. Why the switch if I may ask? :)
The Ext drives are 500 Gb and 1T "spinner"s" that I use for Music backup files and Files / Docs. Access these once in a while only so don't want them running all the time. The switch is a USB 3.1 Gen 2 10Gb. Also saves plugging them in when needed.

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
@TinaBelcher - I have been using a vertical stand with a 2018 Mac mini, with 64GB RAM for 3 years and have had no issues with excessive heating or loss of performance. In my case, for improved access and heat transfer (hot air rises!), I positioned the Mini with the ports and cooling fins facing upwards.

Reactions: TinaBelcher

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Heehee.

I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work fine now that spinning drives aren't part of Mac minis anymore, and even then the danger is more from banging them around than standing them vertically. I've mounted my M1 Mac mini vertically beneath my desk with the fan vent facing the ceiling.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
What about dust in the ports from setting it up vertically with the ports and vent aimed at the ceiling? Is dust accumulation in the ports and cooling vent an issue with this configuration? I’m a new Mac Mini owner, and am considering orienting it vertically.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
y’all don’t need to comment in this, I bought myself the 15 inch air with a studio display so I’m good :)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
y’all don’t need to comment in this, I bought myself the 15 inch air with a studio display so I’m good :)
are you going to want to tilt that as well?

I use a satechi stand in case water or something spills and the typing experience is better than flat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.