Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nzxred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Hi Guys, as you can see the USB-C charging cable comes with the iPad is way too short, I try to use my MacBook Air charging cable, however due to my iPad case ports cut out issue, the cable will not push all the way into the iPad.

So I decided to trim off the white plastic part at one end of the cable, it seems fit perfect after that.

However just one important concern, the grey part of the cable is fully exposed, is it still safe to charge my Mac and iPad, will I get electrocuted? 😅 Do I need to wrap around with electrical insulation tape. Sorry I am a physics dummy.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A6.jpg

A7.jpg

A8.jpg

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Or, be on the safe side and do the opposite by slightly enlarging the opening/cutout in the case and use any cable you want.
But I understand if you avoided that for aesthetic reasons.

I'm not sure how much physical force is transferred between the grey and white plastic of the modified connector but you could use some superglue to close/seal the gap. This should also prevent moisture from getting inside. Or for the peace of mind, put a piece of shrinking tube over the area (if the cutout allows for the additional material).

Last edited:

nzxred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Or, be on the safe side and do the opposite by slightly enlarging the opening/cutout in the case and use any cable you want.
But I understand if you avoided that for aesthetic reasons.

I'm not sure how much physical force is transferred between the grey and white plastic of the modified connector but you could use some superglue to close/seal the gap. This should also prevent moisture from getting inside. Or for the peace of mind, put a piece of shrinking tube over the area (if the cutout allows for the additional material).
the Case is even harder to trim, 😆

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’d MUCH rather cutting the case to let cable fit than cutting the cable, knowing damaging the case won’t cause complications and the risk to expose components in the air, or in rare cases, electric shock.

nzxred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
One Important fact is after enlarging the case cut out, the rigidity of bottom part case will be compromised. the rubber part close to the Screen side will wear and tear very quickly.

Don't ask me why I know this, because I did that on one of my iPhone cases.
😆😂

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
One Important fact is after enlarging the case cut out, the rigidity of bottom part case will be compromised. the rubber part close to the Screen side will wear and tear very quickly.

Don't ask me why I know this, because I did that on one of my iPhone cases.
😆😂
Well… I would use another case rather than that one. 🤣

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
It’s fine. The conductors are individually isolated, and this modification isn’t even exposing them anyhow. The strength of the connector may be somewhat compromised, but it shouldn’t matter if you’re not putting strain on it.

Reactions: nzxred

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Well… I would use another case rather than that one.

I agree with this! Get a better case.

I’ve never had this fitting issue with any case I’ve used in my life! Where did you get that case from? Clearly not a good one.

nzxred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
I agree with this! Get a better case.

I’ve never had this fitting issue with any case I’ve used in my life! Where did you get that case from? Clearly not a good one.
Sorry, I know changing case is the easiest thing to do, but I am a little bit fussy when comes to iPad cases, there are not many fabric type cases out there that I like, certainly not a fan of those regular boring looking cases that every electronic store sells. I used to own a Logitech fabric cases for my iPad mini 2 years ago, really loved 😍 it, I think Logitech AnyAngle Case was the name that time.

Unfortunately, Logitech no longer produce those for the new iPads, touch combo case is awesome, but it is slightly too heavy for me and I don't really need the keyboard.

113036381.jpeg

logitech-anyangle-ipad-air-2-mini-3-1.jpg

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Sorry, I know changing case is the easiest thing to do, but I am a little bit fussy when comes to iPad cases, there are not many fabric type cases out there that I like, certainly not a fan of those regular boring looking cases that every electronic store sells. I used to own a Logitech fabric cases for my iPad mini 2 years ago, really loved it, I think Logitech AnyAngle Case was the name that time.

Unfortunately, Logitech no longer produce those for the new iPads, touch combo case is awesome, but it is slightly too heavy for me and I don't really need the keyboard.

View attachment 2226264

View attachment 2226265

Ah that makes a lot of sense. I was going to point you to ESR cases on Amazon which I’ve been using for years without any issues of any kind but guess that’s not gonna float your boat. Take a look at their collection nonetheless in case you like any of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.